• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missing plane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issues is that , we the people, are taking it nice and slowly and deeply.

Few people at the Airline(s) , the majority share holders , reap profits in the billions, and then just keep numbers in the banks.

This is money that could have gone to create a technology that can help in cases like that such as parachuting system.

But instead our attention is on the minister paying back 700 of overdrawn expenses , which itself is an electoral dirt bag , dug out by the opposition.
    Last edited by juststarting; 2 June 2009, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
      It pains me to say this – but I don’t believe that a terrest[sic] attack (bomb) can be ruled out. Why was it done so early.

Even if the plane lost a wing due to turbulence then a message could still be sent.

It is the reports of wreckage (although small) that would indicate to me that the plane suffered structural damage while flying – given that there was no May Day issued one can not rule out a cockpit bomb.

My thoughts are also with all affected..

True that a bomb can't be ruled out, but there's plenty of precedent for lack of a PAN call when serious structural problems occur - and I doubt your claim that "a message could still be sent" if a plane lost "a wing". We aren't talking about Biggles limping home with a broken Sopwith. Modern aircraft wings are (mostly) a single unit machined from billet alloy, if the forces are strong enough to snap the wing, they will also destroy the fuselage in no time - don't forget the wings are much stronger. The lack of a call could be explained in a number of ways, not all of which would indicate a bomb, although it can't be ruled out as you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Back on topic.

I'm not sure the distance between the coast of Brazil and the mid-Atlantic ridge but hopefully the CVR / FDR will be recoverable from depth to identify the cause of the incident - whether (as WxMan suggests above) a bomb or something more mundane but no less tragic.

According to the news, the black box could be at 12,000 feet depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          According to the news, the black box could be at 12,000 feet depth.
          Worryingly, bits are being reported on the BBC as having been found 60km apart which might support a prognosis of the aircraft having broken up at altitude.

It'll be interesting to find out what's happened, and no mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Don't be so stupid! Do you even know what a faraday cage is?
            snigger:-

A330 has composite components so needs a new way of dispersing strikes

Boeing

chortle

dude

and:

Real-world Faraday cages

Things that often act as Faraday cages

* Elevators.
            * Some traditional architectural materials such as plaster with metal lath, and rebar reinforced concrete.
            * Steel and aluminum buildings and sheds.[2]
            * The cooking chamber of a microwave oven.
            * RFID passport and credit card shielding sleeves.
            * Cars and aircraft, when struck by lightning. The metal frame and outer skin of the vehicle cause the electrical charge to travel safely away from the occupants. This differs from a popular urban legend that claims that a car's tires cause the lightning strike to reach the ground. However, radio and cellular phone signals can still reach inside the vehicle since their wavelengths are significantly smaller than the windows and other openings in the vehicle's conductive frame, though internal signal strength may be diminished.
            * The internal metal lining of most consumer electronics, as well as the metal case of most personal computers.
            * A shopping bag lined with aluminum foil acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID tagged items

Comment

Do mobile phones work over the Atlantic under their own steam, i.e. even if the plane has no electricity?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Do mobile phones work over the Atlantic under their own steam, i.e. even if the plane has no electricity?
                Wouldn't have thought so - where would the base station be? A sat phone would work, but a normal mobile? Probably not.

Air France do have seat-back phones, but the aerial for them is in / on the fuselage and if it was hit by a big enough electrical current it'd screw them up, I fear.

Comment

Sure
                  Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
                    Inside a plane?

Comment

Inside a plane?
                      If the plane is made of carbon fibre, or you sit by a window...
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X