• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missing plane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Inside a plane?
    Yep - if it works inside the metal hull of a boat / ship, why not a 'plane?

Hopefully someone who knows more about this would be able to answer but I'd imagine(?) that the frequency being used for a sat phone is different to that of NDB, IFF, TACAN, weather radar, ATC (etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Inside a plane?
      You changed the spec. They're not too good indoors / in-vehicle but can work reasonably well if the skin of the building or outer shell is thin, the success of which depends on the hardware architecture..
      Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
        Yep - if it works inside the metal hull of a boat / ship, why not a 'plane?

Hopefully someone who knows more about this would be able to answer but I'd imagine(?) that the frequency being used for a sat phone is different to that of NDB, IFF, TACAN, weather radar, ATC (etc)?
        Theory here

Wavelenths here

I can't be arsed to do the sums, but I'm pretty sure a sat phone signal will get through a plane window.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The portable base station attenna type, naval, defence etc can be reasonably stable when used in enclosed areas with thin shell. The more widely available and afforable domestic type need line of sight to the satellite. Boats will have the antenna mounted on the mast so no problem there.
          Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

LOL, stormchasers are good for a few things

Air France Flight 447:
            Detailed meteorological analysis

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/af447/

It is possible that the plane suffered massive damage while flying through a storm system. Hail was not a factor.
            www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
              snigger:-

A330 has composite components so needs a new way of dispersing strikes

Boeing

chortle

dude

and:

Real-world Faraday cages

Things that often act as Faraday cages

* Elevators.
              * Some traditional architectural materials such as plaster with metal lath, and rebar reinforced concrete.
              * Steel and aluminum buildings and sheds.[2]
              * The cooking chamber of a microwave oven.
              * RFID passport and credit card shielding sleeves.
              * Cars and aircraft, when struck by lightning. The metal frame and outer skin of the vehicle cause the electrical charge to travel safely away from the occupants. This differs from a popular urban legend that claims that a car's tires cause the lightning strike to reach the ground. However, radio and cellular phone signals can still reach inside the vehicle since their wavelengths are significantly smaller than the windows and other openings in the vehicle's conductive frame, though internal signal strength may be diminished.
              * The internal metal lining of most consumer electronics, as well as the metal case of most personal computers.
              * A shopping bag lined with aluminum foil acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID tagged items
              Seem to recall an oil rig helicopter crashing due to lightning strike on a composite rotor, also the A380 has a laminate of aluminium & CF in its structure to keep the weight down

Hmmm how safe are aircraft with carbon fibre bits?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
              X