• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's Got Talent - Final

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is really not very nice to make such personal comments on Susan Boyle. It is always interesting that women are judged by what they look like whereas we men (thankfully) are not.

The difference between Susan Boyle and Diversity is that Susan was born with a fantastic voice. Who knows how much time she has spent developing it but that is really it- a talent.

Diversity on the other hand are not only talented but thay have worked incredibly hard to develop their talent and to present it as they did in such a contemporary and unpredictable way (as did Flawless). The teamwork skills that they showed are particularly impressive and they have brought immense pleasure to so many people (as has Susan Boyle, though the fascination is a little more morbid than with Diversity)
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I think it is really not very nice to make such personal comments on Susan Boyle. It is always interesting that women are judged by what they look like whereas we men (thankfully) are not.

The difference between Susan Boyle and Diversity is that Susan was born with a fantastic voice. Who knows how much time she has spent developing it but that is really it- a talent.

Diversity on the other hand are not only talented but thay have worked incredibly hard to develop their talent and to present it as they did in such a contemporary and unpredictable way (as did Flawless). The teamwork skills that they showed are particularly impressive and they have brought immense pleasure to so many people (as has Susan Boyle, though the fascination is a little more morbid than with Diversity)
      While I agree in general, I don't think we should go overboard on the idea that Boyle's appeal comes from a morbid source. It could be just surprise that someone who looks TBH like a bag lady should have such a good voice. That would make it something other than morbid novelty, rather an appreciation that could well remain once the novelty is gone.

After all, Edith Piaf looked and spoke like a bag lady, but had a great voice, and now she is remembered for the voice.

On second thoughts, comparing French civilisation with English popular culture, maybe Susan Boyle was better off not winning.

Comment

How many ugly female singers make it to the top apart from Amy Whitehouse?

Comment

The fact remains, if Susan Boyle looked like Catherine Jenkins she more than likely wouldn't have made the final.

A "good" singer who had a "great story"
          Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
          I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            How many ugly female singers make it to the top apart from Amy Whitehouse?
            http://www.michelleofficial.co.uk/

another scot...

>_>
            <_<

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
              http://www.michelleofficial.co.uk/

another scot...

>_>
              <_<
              and your point is?

Comment

I hate this wank

I am glad it is off the airwaves now

although I assume the re-runs will fill in the time until the next selection of talentless chavs decide to make complete twats of themselves on tv in the vain hope it may mean they do not need to actually have to work for a living.

(Having a bad day my Dr Pepper just exploded all over me and my sausage roll)

cock

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  and your point is?
                  large, unattractive scots appeal to the uk public on televised talent shows?

still think poor joolz i mean julian will struggle going back to busking.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilled-2-Sa.../dp/B00009L570

Comment

I think the Boyle woman will make it even though she didnt win.
                    From what I have seen of her I think she is mentally unstable/borderline barking. The stress can not have helped.

Comparison to to the treatment of Edith Piaf is a bit of a stretch. She lived in a world of gramaphones and radio shows. Most people would not have recognised her even if they had been fans for years as they would never have seen her.
                    Susan Boyle lives in a world (for better or worse) where image counts, often over talent. Instant global press coverage and the stress that goes with. Stress that she is ill equiped to deal with.

Racist comments do not help the argument (no matter how subtle).
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

(Having a bad day my Dr Pepper just exploded all over me and my sausage roll)

cock
                      Yeah, must be a Dr Pepper problem - I threw an unopened can onto the passenger seat the other day, and it dented, the metal kinked at the side of the dent, it punctured itself at the kink, sprayed Dr Pepper out at pressure, and used the pressure to rotate itself and thus spray the entire interior of the car, and me.

I suppose this is a little OT

Comment

Working...
                      X