• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spiders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they kill ants send me a box of them, feckers all over my kitchen, nearly had to get taken to hospital last year when one got me on the ankle and it turned infected. gf wanted me to get intravenous antibiotics.

Sprayed more chemicals than the Americans did over south Vietnam. No avail.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      If they kill ants send me a box of them... Sprayed more chemicals than the Americans did over south Vietnam. No avail.
      Some years back I discovered I had a trail of ants from the garden to a honey jar in the cupboard (predominantly).

I tried for days to get rid of them: boiling water, sprays and that white powder stuff. Nothing bothered them.

I went into a chemist to ask what they had. He sold me a little tin with special jelly in. He said:

"That should do the job, however..."

he looked over my shoulder then his shoulder to check there was nobody else about, then whispered:

"... if it doesn't, come back. I'll give you a little something that'll see them off good and proper. Just don't tell anyone; I could get struck off."

The little tins with the jelly in (punch a hole each side and they walk through the insecticide jelly) did the job.

Which is a shame ... I have always wanted to know what "a little something" is.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

The jelly stuff is good. The workers take the jelly back the queen. Queen dies, problem goes away.

For spiders, I look at it as evolution in action. Those I don't see, get to breed.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          For spiders, I look at it as evolution in action. Those I don't see, get to breed.
          I think I've seen evolution in action here. Last summer I was plagued by tiny flies which annoyed the heck out of me by alternately flying in front of my monitor and about 2 inches in front of my eyes when I was sat at the computer.

The first ones were dead easy to kill, but as time went on they became faster and harder to swat. I've still got a dodgy bit on my laptop screen where I hit it with too much fly spray and some got in
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Last summer I was plagued by tiny flies which annoyed the heck out of me by alternately flying in front of my monitor and about 2 inches in front of my eyes when I was sat at the computer.
            We've had that for a few days.

We leave the big light off and use lamps. Mrs BI's lamp faces the wall so the mozzies go and annoy that. The other lamp is pointing at the white A4 sheets in the fax machine. The mozzies go and annoy that too.

That keeps them off the monitors and out of my beer.

My big grump is that these new-fangled low-power bulbs don't get hot enough to cook flying things like the proper bulbs we had when I were a lad.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
            X