• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who here had the poorest upbringing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I didn't think you could use voluntas as that sort of "will", but apparently you can and Pliny does that too.
    Believe one can; and it's the only way I could make sense of it. But I think now would be a bloody good time to give up since I only ever did "new" Oxford and Cambridge >30 years ago. Hopeful but unlikely chance that I might have got stuck somewhere up the Orinoco and the only common language was Latin (dubious story from Latin master as to why it might one day turn out to be important).

Edit: Initial reaction was "going broke is our eventual wish"
    Last edited by ASB; 27 May 2009, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Lived my life on council estates. Parents never owned a car, telephone or went abroad. Only luxury was a colour TV. I attended the worst state schools imaginable.

But look at me now. Living the high life in Swindon. Who'd have thought it?
      Are you from Yorkshire per chance?

You woz lucky...

Well we had it bad of course when I say we live in a box it was more like a sheet of tarpaulin but tell that to them young ones today they'll not believe you..
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Pah. Thah southern pooftah.
        Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        I used to get blisters from walking to school in my bare feet
        But mother used to chide me 'You will be glad of them callouses when you need traction in the ice and snow, come winter time.'
        Me Mam mithered "Thar'll be glad o' thy callouses in t'winter, when thee's proper clemmed". And she were reet.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Believe one can; and it's the only way I could make sense of it. But I think now would be a bloody good time to give up since I only ever did "new" Oxford and Cambridge >30 years ago. Hopeful but unlikely chance that I might have got stuck somewhere up the Orinoco and the only common language was Latin (dubious story from Latin master as to why it might one day turn out to be important).

Edit: Initial reaction was "going broke is our eventual wish"
          I believe you can too. (I've studied a unit or two of Latin at undergraduate level )

And I've found the study of Latin has really come in useful on several occasions. For example, a few months ago I was commenting how much I prefer the Danish translation of The Aeneid to the English one.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

We weren't "poor", cause my dad worked. Between his overtime and my mam's clothes making and cooking skills, we had everything we needed and more.

I had a truly blessed childhood.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              I used to get blisters from walking to school in my bare feet
              But mother used to chide me 'You will be glad of them callouses when you need traction in the ice and snow, come winter time.'
              Of course , she was right. In those days, it was a two mile hike uphill to get to school, then a two mile hike , uphill, to get back home
              Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

My upbringing was so poor I had to become a recruitment consultant
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  Were you abused?
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                    Were you abused?
                    Not as much as he is now!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Cue Pythonesque Yorkshiremen quotes.
                      [Northern Oik]

Eeeeeee wen I were young we never even 'ad 'kin deja 'kin vu!!!

[/Northern Oik]

Comment

Working...
                      X