• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amsterdam Accommodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haarlem

i did look at the Haarlem area and it would probably suit me. a small train ride out would be a nice way to break up the day.
    Can anyone recommend anywhere there, id prefer a b&b or hotel than renting really.
    Ive got a place in amsterdam called hotel azure for next week. but its a bit too close to the centre for me.
    Id love a guided tour one night, that would be excellent, i just cant PM at the monet as im a new member to the forums.

All the best

Daren.

Comment

I used to work in Leiden, very pleasant town, very good train service to Amsterdam in the East and Den Haag (The Hague) in the West. Stayed in a small Hotel near the station, though it was about 15 years ago so can't remember what the rate was and of course is before wifi.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by mcBontempi View Post
        Id love a guided tour one night, that would be excellent
        Now's your moment HAB

Comment

Originally posted by mcBontempi View Post
          i did look at the Haarlem area and it would probably suit me. a small train ride out would be a nice way to break up the day.
          Can anyone recommend anywhere there, id prefer a b&b or hotel than renting really.
          Ive got a place in amsterdam called hotel azure for next week. but its a bit too close to the centre for me.
          Id love a guided tour one night, that would be excellent, i just cant PM at the monet as im a new member to the forums.

All the best

Daren.
          http://www.hotels.nl/haarlem/

Hotels Carillon, Joops, Raeckse and Malts are all reasonably priced; don't expect luxury but they're friendly enough and close to or in the city centre, and around 60 to 70 euros per night with breakfast. Amrath Frans Hals is a smarter place, expect to pay 150 euros or so.

You don't really need a hotel with a restaurant as there are loads of good places to eat in town. You can eat very well and have a drink for about 20 to 30 euros, and if you want the whole 3 course meal with a few glasses of wine, you'll pay about 50 euros maximum.

Good and quite affordable restaurants are Metzo, Specktakel and 'Koetjes en Kalfjes'. Look them up on google, I don't know the adresses by heart.

Once you've got a hotel, try and negotiate a discount for the longer term or ask around in pubs for rooms to rent.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This hotel was often frequented by colleagues I contracted with at ABN Amro. I like the bar and restaurant, but have never stayed there myself (I live 10 mins away). It is a good area (Amstelveen by the Forest - Amsterdamse Bos) with easy connections to Amsterdam via public transport. Don't know about the wifi though

http://www.abina.nl/wb/

When I first arrived in NL I rented at ridiculously high private rates, with greedy landlords who ignored government legislation and kept upping the rent. Also, contracts are long with very limited break clauses and high deposits. Not really (in my opinion) worth the hassle for 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by cab View Post
              This hotel was often frequented by colleagues I contracted with at ABN Amro. I like the bar and restaurant, but have never stayed there myself (I live 10 mins away). It is a good area (Amstelveen by the Forest - Amsterdamse Bos) with easy connections to Amsterdam via public transport. Don't know about the wifi though

http://www.abina.nl/wb/
              I've stayed there; bar is quite a fun place, restaurant's OK, but unfortunately the bar is full and noisy until 1 in the morning EVERY night, so it's not great if you want some sleep.

Comment

I was working at RAI and the company arranged the hotel for me, and paid on top of daily expenses, which was right in Amsterdam center (IIRC it was named after a painter.) The first week I was on the top floor, 4 flights, no lift, the tele was about a foot from my nose, no plug in the sink, you couldn't stand upright in the shower and there wasn't exactly that much hot water. After a week I complained and got moved to the second floor. Better but not much. One night after a long day grafting these Americans turned up with one of the females in hysterics having just witnessed a live sex show. They continued being loud for the rest of the week. The next room was nice and large but...there seems to be a window missing and it overlooked a canal and in the middle of February it was rather non-tepid. That possibly why there was a fan heater in the cupboard. I took it on myself to move and stayed at the Marriott paying for it myself.

Whenever working in Amsterdam I either stay at the Marriott or Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn in Leiden is a bit strange and a bit out of the way. There's a couple of good hotels out in Noordwijk that I've stayed in but rather pricey (one will transport you in a Bentley) but I only stay at those when on expenses.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I was working at RAI and the company arranged the hotel for me, and paid on top of daily expenses, which was right in Amsterdam center (IIRC it was named after a painter.) The first week I was on the top floor, 4 flights, no lift, the tele was about a foot from my nose, no plug in the sink, you couldn't stand upright in the shower and there wasn't exactly that much hot water. After a week I complained and got moved to the second floor. Better but not much. One night after a long day grafting these Americans turned up with one of the females in hysterics having just witnessed a live sex show. They continued being loud for the rest of the week. The next room was nice and large but...there seems to be a window missing and it overlooked a canal and in the middle of February it was rather non-tepid. That possibly why there was a fan heater in the cupboard. I took it on myself to move and stayed at the Marriott paying for it myself.

Whenever working in Amsterdam I either stay at the Marriott or Holiday Inn. The Holiday Inn in Leiden is a bit strange and a bit out of the way. There's a couple of good hotels out in Noordwijk that I've stayed in but rather pricey (one will transport you in a Bentley) but I only stay at those when on expenses.
                  You mean they wouldn’t pay for the Krasnapolsky or the Amstel? Tight barstewards. Okura’s a nice place; good Japanese restaurant too.

Comment

Working...
                  X