• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've double-checked the countries of interest to me, Skype is indeed cheaper than 18866 for countries of interest, 1.4p instead of 2p and 3.4p instead of 5p. Last time I looked I did find an option cheaper than 18866 though, just couldn't persuade wife to switch. Haven't done the calculation, but I suspect it would take quite a few years to pay back £30 though. (On the other hand I already have speakers and a microphone for PC...)

Comment

A recent edition of the Economist was saying that the age of the metered phone call is coming to an end - I think they said that in the near future all calls will be free and we will just pay a flat rate for the line.

Comment

Dont these people get annoyed when you randomly call them from a distant country?

Are you setting up a call center or something..?
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

How else to make new friends? I just Skype em and tell them how good .NET is.

Comment

I still think mine is the best...Press button B and you get your money back!

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
              A recent edition of the Economist was saying that the age of the metered phone call is coming to an end - I think they said that in the near future all calls will be free and we will just pay a flat rate for the line.
              At which point Skype will be ****ed because they don't have a line to sell.

I really cannot understand why anyone thinks that Skype (the company) has a viable economic future.

tim

Comment

"Dont these people get annoyed when you randomly call them from a distant country?"

At some point, as always, someone will eventually hack the software, so look forward to some virus having thousands of zombie computers dialing every number on the planet?...

"At which point Skype will be ****ed because they don't have a line to sell.

I really cannot understand why anyone thinks that Skype (the company) has a viable economic future."

A very good point, as more and more telco's get into this, as they are doing, then I think people are more likely to go for so-called 'triple-play' packages where one company supplies the broadband, IPTV subscription and VOIP phone calls.

For some people (e.g. computer geeks) it may seem great having lots of different stuff, but for Joe Average, he just wants plug in and go.

Comment

My lovely iMate JasJar (PDA phone / 3G etc) came with Skype preinstalled. With wireless internet around the house, and a growing number of places around the city (Edinburgh), and the USB connection to any work PC / laptop, I just log in to MSN and Skype and call people for virtually nothing... i ended up reducing the contract I had to the bare minimum as that was the largest cost, not the calls.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                  X