• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is infinity more than 6000?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    transfinite cardinals? Are they the ones who dress up as choir boys?
    Naw they're just really BIG ones
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      transfinite cardinals? Are they the ones who dress up as choir boys?
      Only in the Von Neumann universe.

It's all explained here.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Don't go there. Everyone who does ends up in an asylum: Cantor, Godel et . al.
        Godel didn't end up in an asylum even though he was as mad as a bat.

He starved himself to death because he was afraid of being poisoned.

Poor old Kurt.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Godel didn't end up in an asylum even though he was as mad as a bat.

He starved himself to death because he was afraid of being poisoned.

Poor old Kurt.
          Ah yes that's true. But it was thoughts of infinity that dunnit.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

You guys are just 'aving aleph
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              You guys are just 'aving aleph

Comment

I think all the various forms of 'infinity' are just a bit of lazy thinking. It's not a number so why bother with it in mathematics?

Unless you can 'build' whatever it is you're building in a finite time then it will never exist, so it has no real meaning.

I always feel a proof that avoids invoking infinities has more substance. I mean these proofs where they say something doesn't exist, and then by invoking 'infinity' generate a contradiction, they just 'taste' wrong.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  I think all the various forms of 'infinity' are just a bit of lazy thinking. It's not a number so why bother with it in mathematics?

Unless you can 'build' whatever it is you're building in a finite time then it will never exist, so it has no real meaning.

I always feel a proof that avoids invoking infinities has more substance. I mean these proofs where they say something doesn't exist, and then by invoking 'infinity' generate a contradiction, they just 'taste' wrong.
                  Clearly there are conceptual infinities, but probably not practical ones.

The number of numbers is infinite, but that is merely a concept, not an actuality.

The number of, say, atoms in the universe, while a very, very big number, is (probably) finite at any given point in time. The universe is itself (probably) finite.

Infinity is merely a mathematical device.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    Clearly there are conceptual infinities, but probably not practical ones.

The number of numbers is infinite, but that is merely a concept, not an actuality.

The number of, say, atoms in the universe, while a very, very big number, is (probably) finite at any given point in time. The universe is itself (probably) finite.

Infinity is merely a mathematical device.
                    as a concept, is it of any use ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      as a concept, is it of any use ?

It prevents mathematics from falling apart at the edges. Otherwise, no, not really.

Comment

Working...
                      X