• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: House prices continue long slide, says website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    I'd rather pay rent for 25 years and have disposable income to live well all this time, than pay a lot more every month in morgage, then "own" house in 25 years just in time for heart attack. What you living for - owning a house? I have much higher aspirations.

You do not own a house, it owns you.

Somebody or other
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 October 2005, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      I'd rather pay rent for 25 years and have disposable income to live well all this time, than pay a lot more every month in morgage, then "own" house in 25 years just in time for heart attack. What you living for - owning a house? I have much higher aspirations.
      Are you sure that it's more expensive to pay mortgage then renting? If you can prove that, you are right.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

The economist calculated that you would be several grand better off if you were to rent for 5 years based on the price of a two bed flat in London and its equivalent rental.

...so renting rules
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
          The economist calculated that you would be several grand better off if you were to rent for 5 years based on the price of a two bed flat in London and its equivalent rental.

...so renting rules
          Of course, those economist need somebody to pay for their houses too.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            Are you sure that it's more expensive to pay mortgage then renting? If you can prove that, you are right.
            Case in point: the house I live in a very nice quiet part of Brum.

1) Rent for 3 bed room house with front and big backgarden, big living room etc - £630 a month.

2) Morgage on the same house whose prices is no less than £250k, interest only at 5.5% - £1,145

What's worse is that if its a rented house then I can share it, so my costs are actually 50% off, plus bills are shared. If I own the house then I would be damned if I shared it the way I can share rented house, thus even looking at interest only rate it follows that right now living in a rented house is 3 times cheaper, or 2 times if you have family in it.

But what about growth in capital you may say? What growth dude? Its all gone -- the only way for houses is right down.

Naturally paying interest only morgage is no different to renting - so you have to overpay, and with reasonable overpayment I'd say you have to pay £2000 a month for my house - £24k a year - that's AFTER TAX (thanks to NL I believe).

Comment

It's interesting that those with mortgages think the money they spend on interest is money well spent whilst that same money spent on rent is money down the drain.

Think about it. If you pay £500 in interest on a mortgage, at the end of the term you still owe all the capital same as £500 rent per month.

No, you might say "ah, I pay £500 interest and £200 repayment, so I'm paying it off", but the smart renter will be investing their £200/month in something that isn't about to lose 20% of it's value in the next few years....

PS. I don't have a mortgage - paid it all off.

PPS. I'd like to add it IS better though to "own" a house due to the stupid restrictions many landlords place on their tenants, the fact that any equity you do build up can give you cheap finance for other projects and so your friends don't look down on you as a scummy tenant.
              Last edited by DimPrawn; 24 October 2005, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                It's interesting that those with mortgages think the money they spend on interest is money well spent whilst that same money spent on rent is money down the drain.
                Exactly my sentiments -- people got into 30+ year morgages and if you are 25 when buying house then you will own it at 55, what gives? I mean WTF is so great at owning your own house at 55? I'd rather have disposable income now when I am young than at 55.

The only issue I have with rent right now is that I can't have a pet

Comment

FFS this is the 21st century.

Get one of these 64 bit guinea pigs

Comment

I prefer to have a nice pussy cat nearby who is always happy for me to stroke her.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      [...] I mean WTF is so great at owning your own house at 55? I'd rather have disposable income now when I am young than at 55.

The only issue I have with rent right now is that I can't have a pet
                      Too bad for you as I will be young even at 55. The stallion getting close to 40 and looking forward for his fantastic 50s.

p.s. I can't have a pet too, it's in the lease regulations.

Comment

Working...
                      X