• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract going sour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I've worked on projects like that (ie compete and utter fiascos) and the main thing is to maintain one''s composure and, at a risk of sounding old fashioned, a stiffy.
    Always be prepared and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
      You need to make the permie think that every idea you give him is his idea. Females are very a good at this (how many times has your wife been able to turn something that was her fault in to your fault?), but it isn't difficult, just a matter of wording it right. What it means is that you get what you want but you make them look good, they come to like you as a result of this and everyones a winner.

Of course the reality is that you shouldn't have to do this but its either that or bench time.
      Thats slightly different:
      (the implied suggestion) "Its your fault and unless you admit it you are not playing Hide the Sausage for a while".... is a banker in the Mr&Mrs context but not such a sure thing in the workplace!!

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
        You need to make the permie think that every idea you give him is his idea. Females are very a good at this (how many times has your wife been able to turn something that was her fault in to your fault?), but it isn't difficult, just a matter of wording it right. What it means is that you get what you want but you make them look good, they come to like you as a result of this and everyones a winner.

Of course the reality is that you shouldn't have to do this but its either that or bench time.
        Ok, can we work an example?

Me: "This process has a sizable amount of technical debt that needs to be addressed before we can even think about adding the additional functionality to it"

Then: "Sure, see what your saying, can you write this up" <sharpens knife ready to plunge in contractor's back as soon as it is turned>
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Discussing it with other contractors on a forum, like what it's there for. Happy in your work?
          I turn up, I invoice. Some of the projects I work on give me satisfaction, others bore me tulipless....

I take my pleasures when I clock off.

I refer the honorable gentlemen back to his posts a couple of months back when benched. At that point, you'd have been happy with where you're at now, i.e. invoicing.
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Ok, can we work an example?

Me: "This process has a sizable amount of technical debt that needs to be addressed before we can even think about adding the additional functionality to it"

Then: "Sure, see what your saying, can you write this up" <sharpens knife ready to plunge in contractor's back as soon as it is turned>

You: "I'm assuming you've thought about the sizable amount of technical debt that needs to be addressed, how is this being dealt with, so that we can add the additional functionality to it?"

Them: <bugger that contractor just saved my neck without realising it> "I'm working on it"

I know its slightly patronising but hopefully you get the gist. You kind of have to know the person (which it sounds like you do) but the the rule is to turn every suggestion, question you have in to something positive, even when its negative.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              I turn up, I invoice. Some of the projects I work on give me satisfaction, others bore me tulipless....

I take my pleasures when I clock off.

I refer the honorable gentlemen back to his posts a couple of months back when benched. At that point, you'd have been happy with where you're at now, i.e. invoicing.
              If you don't like me posts, you could always put me on your ignores list.

Other people are actually contributing on topic and I am finding it useful.

Of course invoicing is preferable to being benched. Why post this?
              If everyone took the view of "I shouldn't moan" they would not use this forum to get other peoples point of view.

That said, I take your point of view.

Comment

It isn’t easy to advise on how to solve this because I don’t think you can solve it. I have the impression that when organizations larger than about 100 people start chucking people out it’s basically pot luck what with all the politics, backstabbing and inability of managers to judge technical competence. You can be sure that whatever you do somebody will be attempting to saw the legs away from under your chair anyway, so don’t worry about that which you can’t control. That’s why the advice to stop worrying as long as you can invoice is probably the best.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

That said, I take your point of view.
                  Just trying to be a reality check!
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Mich says slow down to their pace, but sometimes the gap between your abilities and theirs is so vast that it is just not feasible to do so.
                    I think the problem is that you are working in second rate jobs. Get yourself a decent job where the permies are good. Then you won't have to work with dimwits.

The other thing is, if you ask a contractor for a small bit of help on something and he starts trying to reinvent the system from scratch it stinks of him trying to generate more work for himself. I have found long term contractors have a survival instinct that kicks in quite soon into a conversation - they always gear it towards extending their contract-either in term of saying the right things when the right people are within earshot - or claiming someone else's work is rubbish and needs rewriting.
                    Last edited by aussielong; 19 May 2009, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                      I think the problem is that you are working in second rate jobs. Get yourself a decent job where the permies are good. Then you won't have to work with dimwits.

The other thing is, if you ask a contractor for a small bit of help on something and he starts trying to reinvent the system from scratch it stinks of him trying to generate more work for himself. I have found long term contractors have a survival instinct that kicks in quite soon into a conversation - they always gear it towards extending their contract-either in term of saying the right things when the right people are listening - or claiming someone else's work is rubbish and needs rewriting.
                      I wish I could think like that. Sadly I do lack people skills, and my focus is purely technical. My problem here is that on the one hand they ask to my opinion, and on the other don't actually want it, and giving it gets people's backs up.

How do you actually gauge the ability of the permies from a contractor interview?

Comment

Working...
                      X