• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let's support the Sri Lankans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    (Shameless plug)

All this can only help plan B http://www.tropicalbeachhouse.com/

Which, if anyone is interested, is up for sale. ;o)

is about to get torched!

Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Tamil Tigers, I love that. It's really good alliteration for a resistance group, If I was going to be a terrorist I would rather be a Tamil Tiger than in boring Al Quaeda.
      I would like to join the 'Contractors Contras' or the 'Freelance Frenzy'
      Good work EO. We'll make a freedom fighter of you yet.

Comment

Maybe i've not been paying enough attention to the papers, but what have the UK govt got to do with this business in Sri Lanka?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
          Maybe i've not been paying enough attention to the papers, but what have the UK govt got to do with this business in Sri Lanka?
          £5 million in aid so far... Sri Lanka is also expecting the UN i.e. the West to pick up the tab for fixing the result of the war
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Didn't Milliband tell the Sri Lankans to lay off attacking the Tamil Tigers? Or it might have been the other way round, who knows. Anyway, he stuck his oar in and upset one lot.

Comment

I strongly disagree with burning effigies of Milliband, the real thing would be much more fun. Those ears would really flare up.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                IIRC the UK govt brought the Tamils in as cheap labour to build in SL. When the work was finished, the Tamils then didn't get what they were promised and were left to rot.

I'm paraphrasing here of course.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

IIRC the UK govt brought the Tamils in as cheap labour to build in SL. When the work was finished, the Tamils then didn't get what they were promised and were left to rot.

Where were they bought in from?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I dont think so. My dad was based in a place known as Trincomalee in the NE of Ceylon in WWII. It was a Tamil area and always had been for thousands of years. They loved the Brits because we protected them (from the Hindu IIRC)

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      Where were they bought in from?
                      Ceylon, which is next to Sri Lanka.

Comment

Working...
                      X