• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question time II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's the rub, in the UK we haven't had representative government for decades, once an MP has their seat they can happily ignore their electorate until the next election. With our "first past the post" system, Party politics and Whips 45% of the turnout (that's not the electorate as 50%+ don't bother to vote) will typically return a massive, unbeatable majority.

How many people in this country even appreciate that they are electing a representative and NOT a Party? Democracy in the UK is a total farce.
    In Ireland they have Proportional Representation - I guess that makes it a little more fair but to be honest, I have no idea.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      Ok - serious question, I don't trust any of those flipers now... I don't want to not vote (I think thats appalling) however I dont' want to vote for any of them, so what do I do?
      vote with your feet and go shopping!
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        In Ireland they have Proportional Representation - I guess that makes it a little more fair but to be honest, I have no idea.
        PR tends to return much smaller majorities or coalition Governments, but at least it makes every vote significantly more relevant. Some people feel these are weaker, but at least they're representative and they might encourage Government by agreement rather than by dictate and opposition.

There are plenty of UK constituencies that always return an MP of one Party with a gigantic majority, these Safe Seats could put up a strategically shaved chimp and as long as it's wearing the right coloured rosette it will have the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          vote with your feet and go shopping!
          Hmmmnn not sure that actually helps though. But I will keep it in mind.

PR tends to return much smaller majorities or coalition Governments, but at least it makes every vote significantly more relevant. Some people feel these are weaker, but at least they're representative and they might encourage Government by agreement rather than by dictate and opposition.

There are plenty of UK constituencies that always return an MP of one Party with a gigantic majority, these Safe Seats could put up a strategically shaved chimp and as long as it's wearing the right coloured rosette it will have the seat.
          I see.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

That's the rub, in the UK we haven't had representative government for decades, once an MP has their seat they can happily ignore their electorate until the next election. With our "first past the post" system, Party politics and Whips 45% of the turnout (that's not the electorate as 50%+ don't bother to vote) will typically return a massive, unbeatable majority.

How many people in this country even appreciate that they are electing a representative and NOT a Party? Democracy in the UK is a total farce.
            The alternative, PR, is much worse. You end up with lots of mutual back-scratching cliques, and no one outside has much of a clue what is going on and little chance of changing it. It's a perfect recipe for corruption, and lack of accountability, as countries like Italy, and the EU, demonstrate.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              The alternative, PR, is much worse. You end up with lots of mutual back-scratching cliques, and no one outside has much of a clue what is going on and little chance of changing it. It's a perfect recipe for corruption, and lack of accountability, as countries like Italy, and the EU, demonstrate.
              How is a mutual back scratching clique different in any way to our current Party political system? our current cliques are so fixed that they're even enforced by the whips offices and Party selection that prevent an MP from voting with their concience.

Our current system is every bit as clueless and corrupt as Italy or the EU so I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Comment

How is a mutual back scratching clique different in any way to our current Party political system? our current cliques are so fixed that they're even enforced by the whips offices and Party selection that prevent an MP from voting with their concience.

Our current system is every bit as clueless and corrupt as Italy or the EU so I don't understand what point you're trying to make.
                The difference is that Italy is also incapable of strategic decision-making.

The EU is a bad example of PR. The EU Commission makes the decisions, not the elected MEPs. They just wave them through.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  The difference is that Italy is also incapable of strategic decision-making.

The EU is a bad example of PR. The EU Commission makes the decisions, not the elected MEPs. They just wave them through.
                  Well that's Italians in general, not just their poiliticians. I had the deep joy of having some Italian stakeholders on one recent project that simply wouldn't reach a decision when the Germans, Spaniards, Yanks, Swedes and Brits had all decided weeks before.

The EU Parliament has always been a bit of a farce, it wouldn't make a jot of difference what electoral system they have.

Comment

Well that's Italians in general, not just their poiliticians. I had the deep joy of having some Italian stakeholders on one recent project that simply wouldn't reach a decision when the Germans, Spaniards, Yanks, Swedes and Brits had all decided weeks before.
                    Ah, you've worked with them too. When I did, they thought it normal practice to sign a contract fairly quickly then negotiate it afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X