• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaw View Post
    All of them will.

Shame there's no alternatives, I think just now disillusionment with politicians must be at an all time high in this country.
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Watched QT for the first time ni a long time last night.

Thing I came away with was this feeling that they're not sorry, and incredibly even feel a little hard done by (Plus the whole bollocks about paying them more, but they'd never vote for it themselves).
    You got it right the first time : no alternative.

Revolution anyone?

Comment

It'll probably be an Islamic revolution.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm going to ask my MP how he can justify the 2nd home expenses

I'm about to send him...

With all of the furor surrounding MP’s expenses I’d like to know how MP’s can seriously justify the second home allowance and costs which get charged back to the public purse. I work through a limited company and like a MP I too have had to spend considerable amounts of time working away from home. Between 2000 and 2004 I worked in London, commuting down on a weekly basis. Unlike a MP there were strict rules, enforced by the Inland Revenue as to what I could and could not charge back to my company by way of expenses. I would have loved to have bought a flat and furnish it with all of the nice things I have at home but there is no way on this earth that I would be allowed to do so at my companies expenses. All items my company expenses for me have to be wholly and exclusively attributable to my business. A new TV or sofa for my 2nd home would not be seen as allowable. Why then are MP’s a special case? Why is it that I as a tax payer have very strict rules as to what my company can provide for me while working away from home while a MP seems to be able to replicate all their belongings at the taxpayers expense? Also it is interesting to note that after 2 years of working away from home all my expenses had to stop because the Inland Revenue rules dictate that if you are working in a single location for longer than 2 years then this becomes your primary place of work .

Feel free to add anything I have missed
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Just one thing I'd add Tony - You thieving barsteward.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

"Lessons will be learnt"

I've learnt there's a niche market in moat-cleaning. Could be my plan B!!!
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              I'm going to ask my MP how he can justify the 2nd home expenses

I'm about to send him...

With all of the furor surrounding MP’s expenses I’d like to know how MP’s can seriously justify the second home allowance and costs which get charged back to the public purse. I work through a limited company and like an MP I too have had to spend considerable amounts of time working away from home. Between 2000 and 2004 I worked in London, commuting down on a weekly basis. Unlike an MP there were strict rules, enforced by the Inland Revenue as to what I could and could not charge back to my company by way of expenses. I would have loved to have bought a flat and furnish it with all of the nice things I have at home but there is no way on this earth that I would be allowed to do so at my companies expense. All items my company expenses for me have to be wholly and exclusively attributable to my business. A new TV or sofa for my 2nd home would not be seen as allowable. Why then are MP’s a special case? Why is it that I as a tax payer have very strict rules as to what my company can provide for me while working away from home while an MP seems to be able to replicate all their belongings at the taxpayers expense? Also it is interesting to note that after 2 years of working away from home all my expenses had to stop because the Inland Revenue rules dictate that if you are working in a single location for longer than 2 years then this becomes your primary place of work .

Feel free to add anything I have missed
              You might want to check that for errors.

I would also lose the 2 year rule bit. In that particular case I think the MPs have a point.

I wrote to mine and also made the point that I could not claim costs on a property which I own (even partialy) and that I was laible for tax on BIKs if I used any of my expensed items for personal use so could not have the family over for weekends at my flat. The size of the flat was also questioned, but I can make allowances for MPs on these points due to the nature of their job.

You may also want to point out that legislation was changed when it was pointed out that although contractors operate within the tax law they are regarded as exploiting it to get away with paying less tax than they should.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

is it an MP or a MP? I thought it was an if the following word starts with a vowel. I had initially written it as 'an' but then changed it.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  is it an MP or a MP? I thought it was an if the following word starts with a vowel. I had initially written it as 'an' but then changed it.
                  I am not sure now.
                  A MP sounds wrong to me.
                  Where the hell do I find out.
                  I will look what the BBC writes.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Qt

Last night was extremely entertaining.

The MPs with the exception of Ming Campbell (who's so old any expression he might make would be lost amongst the wrinkles) managed to look shifty and untrustworthy at the same time and the scumbag at the end of the table (sorry, all journalists = scumbags) looked smug and self-satisfied, despite also looking shifty. I half expected a snakes tongue to come out of his mouth, I'm not sure why - he just looked reptilian.

Worryingly the only person on the programme who looked remotely composed and not like he was busily shafting the taxpayer was that purveyor of healthy comestibles (not) the CEO of McDonalds.

Comment

"I would also lose the 2 year rule bit. In that particular case I think the MPs have a point."

I don't - I'm happy enough with the 2 years regarding a single client, but it is location based. Effectively it prevents me from taking another role with a different client if they happen to be based in the same geographical location as the last one. This is a problem if that geographical location happens to be London. It means that I can do 2 years in London claiming expenses, but if I want to continue claiming them, I have to get another in a different location for 6 months to reset the clock.

"I wrote to mine and also made the point that I could not claim costs on a property which I own (even partialy) and that I was laible for tax on BIKs if I used any of my expensed items for personal use so could not have the family over for weekends at my flat. The size of the flat was also questioned, but I can make allowances for MPs on these points due to the nature of their job."

Why? What is so special about their job which means that they can have an expensed property for personal use?

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X