• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about a scheme (loophole) to avoid stamp duty on a house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If such schemes do not work, why are the Revenue trying to close them down?

Originally posted by Alan Jackson View Post
    Did you make any progress on this one, as I have had exactly the same call - 21st Sept 2009. Has anyone successfully achieved this or is it all a huge gamble?
    I attended a presentation by my accountant recently on how one of the scheme works. I was shown the legal opinion etc. All made sense to me, and this scheme has been used successfully in over 200 cases. I intend to use the scheme myself. I am sworn to secrecy so cannot divulge any details. All I would say is do not fall for all the scare mongering, quite a lot of which is generated by the Revenue!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Caldwell-Heath View Post
      I attended a presentation by my accountant recently...
      ***alert***

A new contender for Poshest CUK Member has arrived!
      Outcome to be decided by a Shipping Forecast Announce-off at the next CUK do.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conside...er_English_law

Nothing wrong with selling the house for a £1. Unsure as to the company implications.
        Not sure about the company implications but SDLT will get you if you sell it at undervalue.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          ***alert***

I suspect it won't happen unless we meet at a golf club
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Nope, this loophole has been mentioned in the budget but never closed.
            Of course it might be closed retrospectively.

Comment

***alert***

Does this mean we get a better class of gaff to have a party in?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Had a call from a legal firm (linked to estate agents).

Basically, they form an unlimited UK company and you put your money into it. This company then buys the house and on the day of the exchange sells it to you for £1.

Legal fees about £15K to make this water tight.

Evidently only poor stupid people have been paying stamp duty, the rich don't pay it and the loophole has not been closed.

Anyone clued up on this?
                Not legal because the IR is notified of the purchase and they will charge stamp duty on deemed value.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

No idea but good luck. Given the way our tax money is wasted anyone who successfully avoids or evades tax on their own assets or income has my admiration. You might join my role of honour along with Wesley Snipes, Ken Dodd, Pavarotti, Lester Piggot etc etc etc. Don't let the fact that some of these are dead dissuade you.

Save our lives. Destroy the state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Posh! Who me?

***alert***

Let me know if I win?

Comment

Working...
                    X