• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about a scheme (loophole) to avoid stamp duty on a house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Maybe hes done the math allready and its spend 15k to save 35k (hence the 20k figure).

anyway. Here they are: http://www.avoidstampduty.com/
    Yes, it's spend £15K and save £20K.

£500K, would not even buy a lockup garage.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Yes, it's spend £15K and save £20K.

£500K, would not even buy a lockup garage.
      Fairy 'snuff. If you're spending about 800k then it's probably worthwhile.

Depending upon the sort of property you can occasionaly enter into different contracts for nominally different lots. Idea is to get each bit in a lower band, e.g. the land and outbuildings seperately, the anexes seperately and the main house on it's own. Trick is to stop it being regarded an one transaction for SDLT purposes. There is at least a small chance of getting the main house to < 500k and then only 15k stamp duty overall. It does involve a lot of fsking around with the land registry though.

Comment

Anyone know anything about a scheme (loophole) to avoid stamp duty on a house?
        I thought the current regime had suspended stamp duty for the forseeable future? If so the correct answer is get a load of banksters to ruin the economy, then get Darling to suspend stamp duty to refloat the housing market???
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Fairy 'snuff. If you're spending about 800k then it's probably worthwhile.

Depending upon the sort of property you can occasionaly enter into different contracts for nominally different lots. Idea is to get each bit in a lower band, e.g. the land and outbuildings seperately, the anexes seperately and the main house on it's own. Trick is to stop it being regarded an one transaction for SDLT purposes. There is at least a small chance of getting the main house to < 500k and then only 15k stamp duty overall. It does involve a lot of fsking around with the land registry though.
          The scheme I'm talking about is much simpler.

A UK company buys the house, all above board and then somehow by magic it becomes mine, all for £15K in legal fees (ie. a fat greedy lawyer spends 10 minutes posting a letter).

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            I thought the current regime had suspended stamp duty for the forseeable future? If so the correct answer is get a load of banksters to ruin the economy, then get Darling to suspend stamp duty to refloat the housing market???
            Are you fick? Yes they have suspended stamp duty on houses under £120K or something. I'm talking about £800K houses FFS.

Comment

Nope, this loophole has been mentioned in the budget but never closed.
              But it could be closed, and this Government don't give a stuff about applying new legislation retrospectively (especially when their intentions have been pre-announced as in this case).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                But it could be closed, and this Government don't give a stuff about applying new legislation retrospectively (especially when their intentions have been pre-announced as in this case).
                This is my worry. The fat pompous lawyer offering the scheme just laughed when I said "what about retrospective law?" Something about such a change would hit most of the MP's.

Comment

This is my worry. The fat pompous lawyer offering the scheme just laughed when I said "what about retrospective law?" Something about such a change would hit most of the MP's.
                  And finally, we get to the punch line
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The scheme I'm talking about is much simpler.

A UK company buys the house, all above board and then somehow by magic it becomes mine, all for £15K in legal fees (ie. a fat greedy lawyerspends 10 minutes posting a letter).
                    This is my worry. The fat pompous lawyeroffering the scheme just laughed when I said "what about retrospective law?" Something about such a change would hit most of the MP's.
                    Fat people tend to sweat a lot.

Was the fat greedy pompous lawyer sweating as well.

Comment

MPs don't pay stamp duty either. They designate the house they buy as a second home and reclaim it. Simple !!

Comment

Working...
                      X