• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eurovision

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    WTF is the point of the UK 'winning' the Eurovision. A country that produced the Beatles, the Stones, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, sorry I'll rephrase that; invented pop, heavy metal, punk, indie and more, has no need to prove anything in front of a continent of musical know-nothings that haven't produced a half decent album since Wagner's Ring Cycle. (with the possible exception of Herman Brood)

OK, so the UK sends a pimped up band from the Butlins holiday camp to give the rest a chance, because if they sent Radiohead it would be like the New Zealand All Blacks entering the Little Wobblington sunday veterans charity sevens tournament.

Just stop this crap.
    Britain has always followed the states in music, from the beatles doing southern rock and roll to pinching the beach boys' smile ablum.

And kraftwerk are still a class band.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Actually it is quite a good song, not something I would ever dream of listening to but it has been cleverly arranged, multiple upwards key shifts and popular chord progressions. Does sound like something from a musical though.
      Unfortunately Europe still thinks David Hasselhoff is a talented musician so it has no chance but I think it could get into top 5 easy.
      Thats cos it was written by Andrew Lloyd-Webber
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Come now, Germany alone has some fine bands;

Kraftwerk, Rammstein and Scooter spring to mind immediately...

That said, all French bands are utter, unmitigated dog-tulip.
        Yes OK there are a few exceptions, half of whom are dead or retired, but still I propose a new Eurovision format;

UK vs Ireland for one new band each and one old band each, male and female and then a bloody big piss up afterwards. Sorted. The rest are tulipe.

I live on ‘le continent’ and I can say with absolute certainty that it’s a jolly nice continent in which to live; good food, good transport, beautiful scenery, good wines and fit women, but the popular music is utter excrement.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Come now, Germany alone has some fine bands;

Kraftwerk, Rammstein and Scooter spring to mind immediately...

That said, all French bands are utter, unmitigated dog-tulip.

I know that is fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Thats cos it was written by Andrew Lloyd-Webber
            really?

Comment

I know that is fishing.
              What's not to like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3E2X3kQNQ ?

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Britain has always followed the states in music,
                taught the yanks how to play their own music. Clapton and co rescued blues from oblivion when the yanks thought black folks couldn't play, British punk bands improved on the New York Dolls and actually woke the yanks up to the fact that there was something beyond disco, indie bands taught them how to play pop again and Metallica learnt heavy metal by listening to the British bands while all the other yanks were emptying tankers full of hairspray onto their empty heads and singing crap like 'you can't stop rock and roll'.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

really?
                  Well the music was, the lyrics are by some other guy.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I think we should send Dizzee Rascal.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      taught the yanks how to play their own music. Clapton and co rescued blues from oblivion when the yanks thought black folks couldn't play, British punk bands improved on the New York Dolls and actually woke the yanks up to the fact that there was something beyond disco, indie bands taught them how to play pop again and Metallica learnt heavy metal by listening to the British bands while all the other yanks were emptying tankers full of hairspray onto their empty heads and singing crap like 'you can't stop rock and roll'.
                      You play Rugby and Deep Purple albums, I play the piano, guitar and drums.

I'm going to think I know what I am talking about on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X