• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 14 May 2009, 13:07.

Comment

Found a good answer here;

http://www.madmanweb.com/archives/02...questions.html

Nick Corcodilos, keeper of the excellent Ask The HeadHunter site, suggests a tongue-in-cheek answer of "Do you keep your employees for five years?"
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Where do I see myself in 5 years?

Barefoot and pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I'm in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions.
          I'm not in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions... but needs must and if it's the only option.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            I'm not in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions... but needs must and if it's the only option.
            I feel for you mate.

Did you try dropping your day rate, seeing how many buzzwords in the jobserve ads are in your CV, being flexible on location and posting your CV to the job boards 5 times a day?

Green shoots they say. Something will come in at the last minute when you least expect it.

What's your ideal gig?
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              In your job
              = "what you have done already is what I aspire to". Suck suck.

I remember again why I contract.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Think long and hard. Is it REALLY the only option? Do you have other skills that you could use to work for yourself? Teaching and offering courses in your skills, freelance translating, freelance technical writing? Is your local area in need of some kind of shop or service that it doesn’t have right now? Can you sell stuff from home or on the internet?

If you really want to work for yourself you need to think about everything you’ve done up to now and which particular skills can be offered in a different way to someone who’ll pay for them.

Now I know it’s easy to talk; it’s much easier to see opportunities when you’re in work as your mindset is perhaps more optimistic, but think about it.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  I feel for you mate.

Did you try dropping your day rate, seeing how many buzzwords in the jobserve ads are in your CV, being flexible on location and posting your CV to the job boards 5 times a day?

Green shoots they say. Something will come in at the last minute when you least expect it.

What's your ideal gig?
                  My ideal gig would be SC MoD in Bristol on £28 ph... but that finished.

I am realistic about rates in the current market, I have few buzzwords in my CV as I get enough pointless phone calls from lazy agents with irrelevant job descriptions.

I'm not flexible on location other than a 50 mile radii from Bristol as I like to see my family, I can’t help but think that agents are taking more of a margin these days to protect their income which they may get away with on high rate contracts but support roles going from £28 ph to just £18 or lower makes it near impossible to travel or stay away.
                  Last edited by gingerjedi; 14 May 2009, 11:36.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Barefoot and pregnant.
                    Like Arnie in Twins?

I'm strangely aroused by that
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

ginge,

if your rate is 28 quid at abbeywood,

isn't it time to think about permie ?

Milan.

Comment