• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where do you see yourself in 5 years…"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I usually reply to the "where do you see yourself in 5 years time" with :

I have no idea. I'm not Mystic Meg. If I was, I'd be doing the lottery. I'll be wherever I'll be.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    On a balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples being paid to drink wine and eat sausages while observing and reporting on the mafia assassinations.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    in five years

travelling to work in a submarine, due to AGW,
    through empty streets, due to swine flu
    in a well run country,due to the clean-up in politics
    on a good train, thanks to network rail
    in a safe world , thanks Tony fckingBlair

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    sitting in a cubicle, or at home in my office, cutting code and getting paid by the hour

... what else is there ?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i think the main problem is skillz

if you are in an area (support) where any 14yr old can compete with you

then of course you're gonna be looking at paper-round money

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    ginge,

if your rate is 28 quid at abbeywood,

isn't it time to think about permie ?

Milan.
    I wouldn't get anywhere near that as permie, £28k tops at the moment looking at the market.

£28 ph is bank manager money if you manage to keep it going, I do think some people on here have been in a contractor bubble (including myself) and don't realise how bad things are at the moment, the only calls I get are for bog standard support bollox for £22-26k and they want you to run a whole site for that.

I know what I need to do to command a decent rate but I don't have the resources or time to do that right now, I keep whinging on here so I'll stop now as I'm even boring myself.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Just going through my post interview analysis for a permie role and I can’t think what the correct answer is to this age old chestnut of a question?

I take it “Hopefully on £500 pd in a cushy contract role” wouldn’t have been the answer he was looking for?

How about ' I'd like to be an MP or a Banker ' !!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    My ideal gig would be SC MoD in Bristol on £28 ph... but that finished.

I am realistic about rates in the current market, I have few buzzwords in my CV as I get enough pointless phone calls from lazy agents with irrelevant job descriptions.

I'm not flexible on location other than a 50 mile radii from Bristol as I like to see my family, I can’t help but think that agents are taking more of a margin these days to protect their income which they may get away with on high rate contracts but support roles going from £28 ph to just £18 or lower makes it near impossible to travel or stay away.
    I have highlighted some things I would like to comment on.

28ph. That is being flexible. Possibly overly so, but I don't know what you do or how well.

Few buzzwords to limit the number of "pointless" calls. This I think is partly to blame. You can sniff an agent out in seconds. I take control of the conversation immediately. I'm kind of busy now, but if you email me the job spec I'll take a look in half an hour or so and call you back. Easy.

If for example you put the word SQL Server on your CV then you will get bulltulip phone calls with people looking for SQL Reporting services, or Server infrastructure etc etc. It's a fact of life. You are your sales and marketing department. Calls is good, no matter how futile it seems. I know of plenty of contractors on here that would kill for a few dozen "pointless" calls a day. Sort your self out in this department and cast your net a bit wider.

50 miles radii of Bristol. That's London out then. Good luck with that. I'm away from my family all week and it gets me down. Not half as much as explaining to my kids why we would be moving into rented accomodation as Daddy couldn't pay the bills.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    ginge,

if your rate is 28 quid at abbeywood,

isn't it time to think about permie ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Barefoot and pregnant.
    Like Arnie in Twins?

I'm strangely aroused by that

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I feel for you mate.

Did you try dropping your day rate, seeing how many buzzwords in the jobserve ads are in your CV, being flexible on location and posting your CV to the job boards 5 times a day?

Green shoots they say. Something will come in at the last minute when you least expect it.

What's your ideal gig?
    My ideal gig would be SC MoD in Bristol on £28 ph... but that finished.

I am realistic about rates in the current market, I have few buzzwords in my CV as I get enough pointless phone calls from lazy agents with irrelevant job descriptions.

I'm not flexible on location other than a 50 mile radii from Bristol as I like to see my family, I can’t help but think that agents are taking more of a margin these days to protect their income which they may get away with on high rate contracts but support roles going from £28 ph to just £18 or lower makes it near impossible to travel or stay away.
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 14 May 2009, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I'm not in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions... but needs must and if it's the only option.
    Think long and hard. Is it REALLY the only option? Do you have other skills that you could use to work for yourself? Teaching and offering courses in your skills, freelance translating, freelance technical writing? Is your local area in need of some kind of shop or service that it doesn’t have right now? Can you sell stuff from home or on the internet?

If you really want to work for yourself you need to think about everything you’ve done up to now and which particular skills can be offered in a different way to someone who’ll pay for them.

Now I know it’s easy to talk; it’s much easier to see opportunities when you’re in work as your mindset is perhaps more optimistic, but think about it.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    In your job
    = "what you have done already is what I aspire to". Suck suck.

I remember again why I contract.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I'm not in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions... but needs must and if it's the only option.
    I feel for you mate.

Did you try dropping your day rate, seeing how many buzzwords in the jobserve ads are in your CV, being flexible on location and posting your CV to the job boards 5 times a day?

Green shoots they say. Something will come in at the last minute when you least expect it.

What's your ideal gig?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I'm in a contract. I don't want to even think about going permie. FFS I'd rather shave my balls with a hedge trimmer than work for a dipstick who asks these stupid interview questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X