• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Intra Company Transfers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I proposed a doom scenarion. Far fetched maybe, but that was my proposal. The question/s are what jobs are safe enough for the UK economy to avoid that doom scenario.

Without maintaing lifestyles my doom scenario kicks in.
    Just how many doctors, lawyers and teachers can the UK sustain?
    Doesnt help the UK if they go abroad and they still have to compete with the people who took their job in the first place.
    What new business meets the criteria stated in the first place?
    The world only needs so many shelf stackers too.
    Your doom scenario is correct and taking place now. Taking the country as a whole, apart from certain small centres of excellence, it doesn't create enough value to support its standard of living. That's what the recession is showing - market forces are forcing the adjustment.
    That's why I say your assumption of maintaining living standards is doomed. In order to do that you have to create value on a sustainable basis and not enough people in the country are doing that.
    A code monkey certainly doesn't create that much value - unless of course they are outstanding, but by definition most aren't.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

No intelligent argument from you then? Thought not.

Your example is a fine one. The miners and other manufacturers were told to retrain into the service industries.

I have simply asked you to tell me what the service industry peeps should retrain into.
      You do not seem to have an answer so, instead of my doom scenario, what will be the outcome if the trend for on and off shoring continues?
      In what industries will all the displaced workers work?
      How will the UK afford to live?
      I'll provide an intelligent argument when I'm presented with one to respond to ...
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Your doom scenario is correct and taking place now. Taking the country as a whole, apart from certain small centres of excellence, it doesn't create enough value to support its standard of living. That's what the recession is showing - market forces are forcing the adjustment.
        That's why I say your assumption of maintaining living standards is doomed. In order to do that you have to create value on a sustainable basis and not enough people in the country are doing that.
        A code monkey certainly doesn't create that much value - unless of course they are outstanding, but by definition most aren't.
        I never expected that!!!!
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I never expected that!!!!
          What?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Why do you all think that be saying you don't like the way things are going that means "that I'm owed a living". Nobody is saying that and I certainly don't think it. I work very hard and I'm not one of those Lazy contractors that does just enough. I've worked many a free hours when required on my contracts because of staff shortages, budget cuts etc. I've also had to retrain because of Offshoring, and then been called back when its gone wrong to help put it right. That is not my idea of progress.

Also the more companies that move to other Countries the less tax we as a country get in, so unless we do something to encourage companies to stay here we are on one big sinking ship. This isn't about retraining, anyone can do that if they want to, but they need the opportunity and money to retrain.

I have no objection to people working here, or us working in there countries, in fact I'm one of the few people who couldn't care less about immigration, but do not stereotype the British workers as Lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
              Indeed.

Imagine the same argument applied to the miners 20 years ago ...
              The problem is quality.

The stuff being imported in terms of coal was exactly the same as what our miners could produce. That is not the case here. The person who replaced me had exactly none of the skills to do the job. A colleague of mine saw his own job being advertised at less than half his daily rate (very niche skill set) 170 gbp a day. This to upgrade and implement a tool which nobody knows much about. HP charge their guy out at 1200 gbp a day to do much less than this.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
                Why do you all think that be saying you don't like the way things are going that means "that I'm owed a living". Nobody is saying that and I certainly don't think it. I work very hard and I'm not one of those Lazy contractors that does just enough. I've worked many a free hours when required on my contracts because of staff shortages, budget cuts etc. I've also had to retrain because of Offshoring, and then been called back when its gone wrong to help put it right. That is not my idea of progress.

Also the more companies that move to other Countries the less tax we as a country get in, so unless we do something to encourage companies to stay here we are on one big sinking ship. This isn't about retraining, anyone can do that if they want to, but they need the opportunity and money to retrain.

I have no objection to people working here, or us working in there countries, in fact I'm one of the few people who couldn't care less about immigration, but do not stereotype the British workers as Lazy.
                I don't recall calling anyone lazy. I'm just stating the truth.
                Adapt or die - but don't moan or whinge it won't do you any good.

PS Working hard doesn't necessarily get you anywhere either. (Working smart usually does however). Deal with it. Who said the world was fair?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  I'll provide an intelligent argument when I'm presented with one to respond to ...
                  I have not asked for an argument, I have asked you to answer a couple of very simple questions, questions you seem to want to avoid.

You say my doom scenario is hysterical and unintelligent yet you seem incapable of showing why! I will accept it is hysterical and unintelligent if you can tell me which industries all the displaced UK workers should retrain in so as not to face personal economic collapse like the manufacturing workers did.
                  I say there is nowhere to go hence my doom scenario.

Answer the question/s or stop posting antagonistic drivel!
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I don't recall calling anyone lazy. I'm just stating the truth.
                    Adapt or die - but don't moan or whinge it won't do you any good.

PS Working hard doesn't necessarily get you anywhere either. (Working smart usually does however). Deal with it. Who said the world was fair?
                    Sas, I think that Dodgy stated it in an earlier post.
                    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                      Sas, I think that Dodgy stated it in an earlier post.
                      The context was hypothetical
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X