• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'No thanks' contract of the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Back on topic I was asked to consider a role in Helmand (Afghanistan), after careful consideration I turned it down despite the project looking interesting.
    Did it pay a premium over equivalent UK roles, and how much?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      SHS
      What does that mean ? SHS ?
      Last edited by EternalOptimist; 12 May 2009, 13:07.
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Did it pay a premium over equivalent UK roles, and how much?
        I’d do it, but I want a big tax free paycheck, a house in a secured residential area and weekly flights to Dubai.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          What does that mean ? SHS ?
          It means

Swat He Said

geddit ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?

Apparantly you couldn't have an M16 anyway:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law#Pakistan
            Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 12 May 2009, 13:17.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company M16, PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?
              Of course not. You're a contractor who probably votes tory. HM Government would rather you die.

Comment

About 4 years ago, that role in PK was £1kpd*, so guesses as to what it is now?

*Well, actually it was more of a GSM role, but very similar spec
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

I was doing S/390 DB2 UDB support for a company as part of their outsourcing arm but hadn't actually done anything in 3 months except for moan about lack of work. Eventually they asked me if it was possible to get TCP/IP working in UDB for a VSE customer as they had an urgent requirement. I promptly replied 'but yes, of course' and began swotting up as I know nothing of VSE. After a couple of days the work package came through. This was for the Pakistan airforce which was based on the borders of Afghanistan just before it all kicked off with the Taliban. My notice was handed in a few days later
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    I was doing S/390 DB2 UDB support for a company as part of their outsourcing arm but hadn't actually done anything in 3 months except for moan about lack of work. Eventually they asked me if it was possible to get TCP/IP working in UDB for a VSE customer as they had an urgent requirement. I promptly replied 'but yes, of course' and began swotting up as I know nothing of VSE. After a couple of days the work package came through. This was for the Pakistan airforce which was based on the borders of Afghanistan just before it all kicked off with the Taliban. My notice was handed in a few days later
                    Wimp!

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                      If one was to take one of these roles. would HMRC allow for purchase of a company PPK & ammunition for personal protection whilst in the clients country ?

Apparantly you couldn't have an M16 anyway:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law#Pakistan
                      Their argument will be , you have to protect yourself anyway even if you were not working for your company.
                      So No

Comment

Working...
                      X