• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
    I've got a 33% chance of getting a job I really want, money is good, work sounds good, durarion 6 months + but due to my recent experience of Interviews I'm hoping for some tips (I've read the link on CUK) and applied this at the last interview (I felt sucessfully) but the feedback I'm persistently getting is that I wasn't the strongest candiate.

Has anyone got any tips on how I can make myself the strongest candiate? I think my problem is the questions I ask or don't ask but because its now impossible to get real feedback I can't be sure on this.

Any tips would be appreciated.
    I think that this article tells you everything you need to know:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-200905081749/ (SFW - unless you work somewhere really strict)

Comment

"So, Joanna Lumley is now in command of the Gurkhas, while women are taking to the streets to protest about their bras. Is it just me, or is Britain turning into Carry On Up the Khyber?"
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Apart from the tie (females just don't do ties!) I've never thanked someone for meeting me at the beginning usually do that at the end, so I'll try that next time.
        I wouldn't. It sounds a bit ingratiating to me, as if you're pitifully anxious to get the contract, the kind of thing a Yank used car salesperson might say.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I wouldn't. It sounds a bit ingratiating to me, as if you're pitifully anxious to get the contract, the kind of thing a Yank used car salesperson might say.
          Thanks I'd had second thoughts about it anyway as it sounded a bit desperate to impress to me. I've decided the reason I didn't get the last 3 roles was because if I'm honest I didn't really want them so didn't give it my best. Hopefully as this is a role I really want it will come across at the interview

Comment

Thanks I'd had second thoughts about it anyway as it sounded a bit desperate to impress to me. I've decided the reason I didn't get the last 3 roles was because if I'm honest I didn't really want them so didn't give it my best. Hopefully as this is a role I really want it will come across at the interview
            What has wanting the job got to do with it. Listen a bloke generally knows of he fancies a girl but he is mostly concentrating on jumping her bones THEN he will think about whether he likes her or not.
            Same with contracts, get it first THEN decide if you want it or not. It hones your skills and gives you an ego boost if you win.
            As a contractor, you have to be confident but not arrogant, always equate any question to recent work, even if you have to expand your role. Basically your answers are always yes I can and here is how I did this at x clientco. Oh and by the way aren't I a pleasant person to have around the place and get on with everyone else.
            In short, I can so the job, get on with everyone and be zero maintenance...
            Question to ask - I always say what will I be doing for the first month or 2, lets them think about me in the role and gives me an insight to how they will view me when I get there...
            I have got the last 5 interviews I have had, problem has been the gap between interviews !!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I think that this article tells you everything you need to know:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-200905081749/ (SFW - unless you work somewhere really strict)
              Last clientco blocked the Daily Mash because of profanity. Bloody government projects.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                What has wanting the job got to do with it. Listen a bloke generally knows of he fancies a girl but he is mostly concentrating on jumping her bones THEN he will think about whether he likes her or not.
                Same with contracts, get it first THEN decide if you want it or not. It hones your skills and gives you an ego boost if you win.
                Not a fair analogy.

You can jump a girl's bones without a contract. If you had to get engaged first, you'd think hard before trying it on.

However, I agree in principle. If I get an interview I turn up and do it for practice. I have attended interviews, got the gig and turned it down. (Definitely twice, possibly more.) Damn good for the ego though.

BTW, I reckon it is OK morally to attend an interview knowing you would turn down the gig if they are interviewing more than one person. An interview is a two-way process.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I got a gig once after answering the question "why do you want to work for us" by saying "I don't. I want to come in, fix your tulip, get paid and leave".

Though I reckon they probably didn't like the swearing.

Comment

Working...
                  X