• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK political satire on TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
    Bring back spitting image
    In the thick of it. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
      they've probably banned it. They don't like criticism. They've even banned right-wing American talk show host from UK, and a Dutch member of parliament.
      ... continued... because these people would heavily criticise UK NuLabour govt policy which is heavily spun as only NuLabour know how to mean "destabilising community cohesion and harmony"

Comment

Spitting Image had it's day, very funny when you're 14 yrs old but not really for adults.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Spitting Image, being a Luck and Flaw (Labour luvvies) production certaintly gave the Tories a good kicking, and to a lesser extent, everyone else.

However, since the incumbent government is a Labour administration, voted in by facists, for facists, then I can't see them allowing any sort of criticism, even for satire.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Something like the daily show is needed in the UK but finding someone like Jon Stewart would not be easy, only person i can think of is Stephen Fry but his type of humor would not be fast paced enough

Comment

What about "Have I got News For You"?
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                What about "Have I got News For You"?
                used to be good, is now hideously politically correct.

example: that gay tory mp said the calfornian beauty queen should be shot for saying marriage should be between one man and one woman only. fuss about it in the daily mail, but you know he will be back on the bbc again.

If someone said the gay tory mp should be shot for saying marriage should be something other than that then that person would be banned from bbc forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Is there any?

You would have thought in the current climate it would be rife.

Do we need to bring back spitting image?

Political satire could mean that you want to overthrow the government therefore it falls under the Anti terrorism legislation.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                  X