• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Any interviews lately?" No. "And whys that?" (dont know? fake jobs? fishing info?)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot
    I received a blatant fishing call this morning. Some lady said there was a perl contract "in the South East", and when I asked where she said she didn't know
    To be fair, with agents there is nothing suspicious about that

Comment

Computer People are currently using a line about CitiBank consolidating 80 share servers into one box, at a ".NET Consultancy" near Tottenham Court Road.

They phoned me with it for the second time yesterday, and the agent concerned nearly sh@t his pants when I said I had already been put forward by another dodgy agency, giving the name of another bunch of cowboys who pull the same scam.

Comment

Don't feed the sharks

I don't blame agents for fishing calls. It's their job to be a shark. I blame newbie contractors (and some experienced ones who should know better) for feeding the sharks.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

".NET Consultancy" near Tottenham Court Road.
          Hmm, that is what they are calling themselves now...
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
            I don't blame agents for fishing calls. It's their job to be a shark. I blame newbie contractors (and some experienced ones who should know better) for feeding the sharks.
            There is fishing and then there is blatant fishing. If an agent calls with a genuine role and then at the end asks politely about possible interviews you might have lined up then fair enough. However, it is completely unprofessional to cold call someone, adopt a very aggressive tone and then demand to know about interviews and opportunities, only to hang up when the contractor doesn’t spill the beans. I do hold them responsible for that and it displays a very poor grasp of business. Contractors are frequently involved in hiring additional staff for a project; who will they go to? The agency full of sharks and fishermen, or the agency which has behaved in a professional way?

The call I received this afternoon was from some agency called ABI IT – or something along those lines (didn’t catch it properly)

Comment

Originally posted by voron
              <snip> ABI IT – or something along those lines (didn’t catch it properly)
              Nearly ABI TITMUSS....I have noticed that some agents seem to have comic book names, I was talking to John Constantine (DC comic book character) this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by gpmh79
                Nearly ABI TITMUSS....I have noticed that some agents seem to have comic book names, I was talking to John Constantine (DC comic book character) this morning.
                It could've been worse, it could've been Gary Goldsmith!!!

Comment

Working...
                X