• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Any interviews lately?" No. "And whys that?" (dont know? fake jobs? fishing info?)"

Collapse

• Marcus Aurelius
    replied
    Originally posted by gpmh79
    Nearly ABI TITMUSS....I have noticed that some agents seem to have comic book names, I was talking to John Constantine (DC comic book character) this morning.
    It could've been worse, it could've been Gary Goldsmith!!!

Leave a comment:

• gpmh79
    replied
    Originally posted by voron
    <snip> ABI IT – or something along those lines (didn’t catch it properly)
    Nearly ABI TITMUSS....I have noticed that some agents seem to have comic book names, I was talking to John Constantine (DC comic book character) this morning.

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    I don't blame agents for fishing calls. It's their job to be a shark. I blame newbie contractors (and some experienced ones who should know better) for feeding the sharks.
    There is fishing and then there is blatant fishing. If an agent calls with a genuine role and then at the end asks politely about possible interviews you might have lined up then fair enough. However, it is completely unprofessional to cold call someone, adopt a very aggressive tone and then demand to know about interviews and opportunities, only to hang up when the contractor doesn’t spill the beans. I do hold them responsible for that and it displays a very poor grasp of business. Contractors are frequently involved in hiring additional staff for a project; who will they go to? The agency full of sharks and fishermen, or the agency which has behaved in a professional way?

The call I received this afternoon was from some agency called ABI IT – or something along those lines (didn’t catch it properly)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    ".NET Consultancy" near Tottenham Court Road.
    Hmm, that is what they are calling themselves now...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Don't feed the sharks

I don't blame agents for fishing calls. It's their job to be a shark. I blame newbie contractors (and some experienced ones who should know better) for feeding the sharks.

Leave a comment:

• gpmh79
    replied
    Computer People are currently using a line about CitiBank consolidating 80 share servers into one box, at a ".NET Consultancy" near Tottenham Court Road.

They phoned me with it for the second time yesterday, and the agent concerned nearly sh@t his pants when I said I had already been put forward by another dodgy agency, giving the name of another bunch of cowboys who pull the same scam.

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    I received a blatant fishing call this morning. Some lady said there was a perl contract "in the South East", and when I asked where she said she didn't know
    To be fair, with agents there is nothing suspicious about that

Leave a comment:

• G8_Summit
    replied
    Actually she was after a Perl necklace

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot
    I received a blatant fishing call this morning. Some lady said there was a perl contract "in the South East", and when I asked where she said she didn't know
    I hear there is a big demand in South East Asia for Perl Divers , perhaps thats what she meant, anyway the manager out there is a chap named Graham Sutherland ... whoops ....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    damn - theres some clued up people on this board!!

Respect to you Alfred...

By Jingo RateWhore !

My apologies there couldnt help playing lets be the Agent today,mind you I must have made a bit of a hash of it as you didnt spill the beans, you were supposed to say ... no my former manager wasnt Graham Sutherland ... it was ...

Oh well back to the drawing board, I will make an Agent one day.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    damn - theres some clued up people on this board!!

Respect to you Alfred...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    had a fecking annoying call this morning from a pimp. He had a 3 year old copy of my CV and kept asking dumbass questions like 'why do you feel you're good at your job' and 'talk about the team you work with and your input to the project'.

Got shortshrift from me - No I won't answer your questions - my skills and experience do the talking and if the client doesn't like them then they sure as hell won't want to know why I feel I am good at my job.

So I told him my rate was a grand a day and call me back if the client is interested...

...*****!!

I know RH its a drag.

Purely out of interest, was your former manager Graham Sutherland ....

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    had a fecking annoying call this morning from a pimp. He had a 3 year old copy of my CV and kept asking dumbass questions like 'why do you feel you're good at your job' and 'talk about the team you work with and your input to the project'.

Got shortshrift from me - No I won't answer your questions - my skills and experience do the talking and if the client doesn't like them then they sure as hell won't want to know why I feel I am good at my job.

So I told him my rate was a grand a day and call me back if the client is interested...

...*****!!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Well looking at that link ...

... They’ll say, “Who did you work for at BT.

Was it Graham Sutherland”? “No”, you say. “It was John Salisbury”. Now the agent has a contact at your old firm that they can call up to ask him if he is looking for any contractors.

So in the future just say youve had an interview at BT with Graham Sutherland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X