• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fishing Season

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working like a true business is hard, as it helps then to be a true business. What do you call a true business? A business with an ever-changing pool of clients, a business where you have to do all the marketing/advertising yourself?

Then clearly I am not a true business and I have no desire to be one, thank you very much. Very happy working with agents to find me work and get the client to pay the invoices
    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Most real businesses have a small selection of clients, usually one or two big accounts, and they work for them for years and years and years.

As an example when that last bit of British Leyland finally realised it was dead with the consequent knock on to its suppliers. If the suppliers had many customers who were constantly changing it wouldn't have mattered to them would it?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

This is a new one on me

Originally posted by threaded
        Most real businesses have a small selection of clients, usually one or two big accounts, and they work for them for years and years and years.

As an example when that last bit of British Leyland finally realised it was dead with the consequent knock on to its suppliers. If the suppliers had many customers who were constantly changing it wouldn't have mattered to them would it?
        This is a new one on me threaded, what do you mean by a "real business"

I always thought that a business neede to make money to be success ful
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I was replying to rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            I was replying to rebecca
            apologies threaded
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well Threaded you could argue that Leyland was then behaving not like a real business. A real business is like a plumber, for example, or a shop, a company that relies on its good name + advertising exposure to get a name for itself.

Leyland, yeah, whatever, don't tell me they were behaving like a proper, competitive business then. It's like those companies that only work for the public sector, getting contracts through greasing the appropriate wheels - not real business IMO
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Well, if you keep slicing things off that are not real businesses then what do you have left?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                  It's like those companies that only work for the public sector, getting contracts through greasing the appropriate wheels - not real business IMO
                  And why not? The public sector is still a market to be exploited.

I think you'll find that wheel-greasing goes on across all business sectors.

Comment

"And why not? The public sector is still a market to be exploited."

Have to agree - as I am curently exploiting this partiucular market at the moment!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

well you are not a real business then and I will tell
                      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X