• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fishing Season

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fishing Season"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied

Ive found it be a mixed bag.... some decent calls from honest agents, some are obviously fishing. For example theres been a posting for x ASP.Net developers in Amsterdam on one job board for a month - rang up originally and 'oh no, they went last week'. Im sure the advert will still be there on monday.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    well you are not a real business then and I will tell

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "And why not? The public sector is still a market to be exploited."

Have to agree - as I am curently exploiting this partiucular market at the moment!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    It's like those companies that only work for the public sector, getting contracts through greasing the appropriate wheels - not real business IMO
    And why not? The public sector is still a market to be exploited.

I think you'll find that wheel-greasing goes on across all business sectors.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Well, if you keep slicing things off that are not real businesses then what do you have left?

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Well Threaded you could argue that Leyland was then behaving not like a real business. A real business is like a plumber, for example, or a shop, a company that relies on its good name + advertising exposure to get a name for itself.

Leyland, yeah, whatever, don't tell me they were behaving like a proper, competitive business then. It's like those companies that only work for the public sector, getting contracts through greasing the appropriate wheels - not real business IMO

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I was replying to rebecca
    apologies threaded

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I was replying to rebecca

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    This is a new one on me

Originally posted by threaded
    Most real businesses have a small selection of clients, usually one or two big accounts, and they work for them for years and years and years.

As an example when that last bit of British Leyland finally realised it was dead with the consequent knock on to its suppliers. If the suppliers had many customers who were constantly changing it wouldn't have mattered to them would it?
    This is a new one on me threaded, what do you mean by a "real business"

I always thought that a business neede to make money to be success ful

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Most real businesses have a small selection of clients, usually one or two big accounts, and they work for them for years and years and years.

As an example when that last bit of British Leyland finally realised it was dead with the consequent knock on to its suppliers. If the suppliers had many customers who were constantly changing it wouldn't have mattered to them would it?

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    working like a true business is hard, as it helps then to be a true business. What do you call a true business? A business with an ever-changing pool of clients, a business where you have to do all the marketing/advertising yourself?

Then clearly I am not a true business and I have no desire to be one, thank you very much. Very happy working with agents to find me work and get the client to pay the invoices

Leave a comment:

• voron
    replied
    Anyway agents. We all know what they're up to, we have to work with them still, so there you go. Let's stop whingeing and since we need them to find contracts, let's get along with them and play their little games. It's not as if we don't know the rules
    I disagree with that. We don't need them in the truest sense. We are increasingly forced to work with them as they whisper in the ear of the client, making them believe the only viable option is to use a middle man.

The alternative is to operate like a real business and work direct.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Anyway agents. We all know what they're up to, we have to work with them still, so there you go. Let's stop whingeing and since we need them to find contracts, let's get along with them and play their little games. It's not as if we don't know the rules
    Just a natural symbiosis...

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Found the last week to be pretty busy, thank god because before that it was dead.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Milan's right. I haven't been called in weeks. But during the summer, I was. And the spring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X