• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring work related problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I went to the big boss. I explained what trouble the project is in, the bad habits in the design practices (Ie fag packet design approach) and asked if I was here to sort it out, or just bodge and run.

He was clear in that I was an expensive resource, and they were paying the money for the benefit of my experience. He is going to advise the PM of this.

PM will now love me I'm sure. Had to be done IMHO.
    As a PM I need to know the technical score, that's why I get to know the techies as well as their managers/team leads. If the PM is worth his salt then he will want to know what the real situation is so that he can hold a meeting like I described.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      As a PM I need to know the technical score, that's why I get to know the techies as well as their managers/team leads. If the PM is worth his salt then he will want to know what the real situation is so that he can hold a meeting like I described.
      You wanna back orf a little here. Sometimes a bodge is the right answer. The dev might hate it, the PM might be out of a job, but for the business, it might be right.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        You wanna back orf a little here. Sometimes a bodge is the right answer. The dev might hate it, the PM might be out of a job, but for the business, it might be right.
        Occasionally a bodge is called for, but that's got to be an informed decision with the benefits, risks and drawbacks clearly laid out to the customer, discussed, agreed and signed off, that's why I seek the advice of my tech staff even in areas where I have plenty of technical expertise myself.

A project lacking proper management will always fail in the absence of sheer dumb luck.

Comment

465 views aint bad for a boring work related problem
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            465 views aint bad for a boring work related problem
            - well, we are all geeks after all
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
            X