• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High Earners 'Will Dodge New 50p Tax Rate'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The more people become self employed, the better for the economy as I see it. The self employed and those in small businesses contribute a massive amount of innovation, creativity and flexibility in the economy compared to the overgrown mammoth corporations. The self employed can't get government hand outs, unlike mammoth banks and car manufacturers so they are forced to get off their backsides and go out and sell their services, which must be of some use to someone otherwise they wouldn't be paid. Oh, and they keep CUK going too.
    You miss the point. These dudes will not change their work pattern, style or attitude. It will be a device to avoid paying tax, true monday to friday syndrome

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is it a coincidence that the £150k threshhold happens to be slightly more than what a government minister earns.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
        Is it a coincidence that the £150k threshhold happens to be slightly more than what a government minister earns.

declares
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          Also anyone earning over 300K will have to pay higher rate corp tax.
          which reduces the benefits quite a bit.
          not if they incorporate overseas...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            not if they incorporate overseas...
            You can't be a one man-band working here and be incorporated overseas.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              You miss the point. These dudes will not change their work pattern, style or attitude. It will be a device to avoid paying tax, true monday to friday syndrome

Not until they're confronted with a recession and increased competition for a limited number of contracts; that's when the real entrepreneurs get going and the permatractors go back to permying. Net result is still that lots of new businesses get off the ground.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                You can't be a one man-band working here and be incorporated overseas.
                Why not? Here I'm thinking of a one-man-band doing something else, such as opening a bookshop as a Plan B for semi-retirement.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Why not? Here I'm thinking of a one-man-band doing something else, such as opening a bookshop as a Plan B for semi-retirement.
                  The domicile (I think that's the correct term) of a company depends where the direction and control of the company comes from.

If you are the sole director, and live & work in the UK, even if the company is registered in France, Hector will want to tax you.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                    Have you no faith in our Politicians ?

Is there no end to your cynicism ?

Alistair Darling need have no personal worries about the 50p tax rate he has introduced, because his cabinet minister's salary is under the parapet, at £141,866

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                      Have you no faith in our Politicians ?

Is there no end to your cynicism ?

Alistair Darling need have no personal worries about the 50p tax rate he has introduced, because his cabinet minister's salary is under the parapet, at £141,866
                      Of course. Darling is not stupid. He just depends on stupid people to vote for his party.
                      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                      X