• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you Microsoft certified?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're good for permy roles but rarely relevant for contract work, like a few on here I always plan to take some but never get round to it.

I must do some soon though as my long term plan is permidom once the mortgage is gone.

It’s probably a lot easier to do when you’ve amassed a small fortune so you can pick and choose relevant courses during bench time but I spend all my bench time panicking trying to find the next gig.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have some old ones for w2k.

Starting studying now for new ones. It has helped in that I have learned things I just didn't know before.

It does give you a realistic chance of earning more because companies will look at it on your CV, they mostly don't understand how easy or hard it is.

Also you can guarantee a pass by cheating and downloading the questions. Do those sites still work?

Comment

Anyways 7 exams and £3500 later
        You shouldn't be spending 3.5k though. Book + exam fee < 150. So about 1k for 7 exams.

Comment

clientco just paid for me to do the 3 MS BI courses - Reporting, Integration and Analysis Services - approx 2,500 quids worth *and* let me charge my hourly rate while on the course!

I'm planning on doing the exams and getting certified, as all there is left now to pay for is the exam-prep books.

Will it pay? time will tell, but in this market everything that gives you an edge over the other candidates has gotta help.

Comment

I did a MCAD in C# in around 2002 when C# was just taking hold to differentiate my CV from everyone else's. I did it at what's now Firebrand Training at a bootcamp and I'd recommend it if you solely want to pass the exams. IIRC it was around £1800 for the week's residential course including all meals etc. It got me in front of clients but you need the experience to back it up otherwise it's useless. Think of doing the course as reading a "Bluffer's Guide" and you have the gist.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Always thought it was a waste of time. Good for getting work in Microsoft Partner shops as MS requires certified people on company payroll to keep using the MS logo.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

During a boom time when contracts are plentiful and contractors scarce, they are of no value.

During a doom time when contracts are scarce and contractors plentiful, they help some companies select CV's for interviews.

So, yes, having certification now is a good thing.

Comment

I just remembered I had a call a couple of weeks ago, where a pimp insisted I should download the MCSD logos from the MS website and attach them to my CV to make it more obvious that I have that qualification.

I didn't bother in the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X