• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

as a contractor, is it normal . . .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkey
    to not have a ******* clue what's going on
    to be expected to use your own laptop
    to do 9 hours a day on a "daily" rate
    and to expect to get sacked each evening

?
    oh yes!
    oh yes (you don't want to use the clients if you can help it anyway).
    You're a sucker if you do, check your contract, it probably states what a working day or week is anyway. My client gets what they pay for...
    N/A Check termination clause in contract.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'm using my own laptop because the one they provided me with is a heap of sh1t. I am on a daily rate and do 8 till 6. I do have the option from working from home on a Friday although I have not taken them up on it yet.

I have not yet been sacked on a daily basis though.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

fook me - 10 hour days? You should be putting your feet up on day 5 - not working from home...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

(a) to not have a ******* clue what's going on
          (b) to be expected to use your own laptop
          (c) to do 9 hours a day on a "daily" rate
          (d) and to expect to get sacked each evening--

(a) - yes, but contractors are generally pretty good at finding out things when they need yo
          (b) - you're probably in a minority, but it's nothing untoward
          (c) - well if it's a daily rate you work as many hours as you see fit. My daily rate is usually about 9.5 * usual hourly rate and I probably average 9h/d. The trick is to work erratic hours so that people think you're working the hours demanded by the job - not too much, not too little as the situation demands. Of course in reality your hours will be based around golf, big poker games, the Scunthorpe dogging scene, whatever
          (d) - Generally not. Maybe you're on a dicey project, else you're paranoid.

Comment

I have a days work today. I dont know how I will cope!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by monkey
              to not have a ******* clue what's going on
              to be expected to use your own laptop
              to do 9 hours a day on a "daily" rate
              and to expect to get sacked each evening

?

Using your own laptop - well I think its acceptable to expect a business to provide its staff with the basic tools of the trade, you'd be p1ssed off if as plumber came to your house and asked to borrow a wrench spanner and screwdriver, the only difference is laptops cost a bit more.

9 hours a day on a daily rate, well if its a daily rate then it should have a definition of a day in the contract, if it doesn't then you can use the standard UK day of somewhere between 7.5 and 8 hours of work (not lunches) anything else is goodwill on your part, and if done excessively should be highlighted.

Termination is the only sure thing in a contractors life, learn to love it for the opportunities it will bring to move on and get a more interesting gig next time

Comment

thank you

group hug. nice to get a sanity check.

Comment

Working...
                X