• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianSnail View Post
    That is truely farked up! How can someone elses finances, that you may or may not be given a share of in the future, be taken into account?!

I might one day win the lottery...should this be taken into account?!
    Divorce can take into account a share of your forthcoming pension - my ex got mine as part of his settlement

Some high profile divources have taken into account future earnngs however I have not heard about any inheritance that could/would be coming your way.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
      Divorce can take into account a share of your forthcoming pension - my ex got mine as part of his settlement
      They can do it because it's already yours, but it can't be done with inheritance which you may or may not get in the future: it's not your money until that happens.

Comment

A contractor chap I know basically got his ex to accept a full and final settlement (for her, I think the kids still get school etc paid for).

He used the threat that he could structure his affairs to give her the least amount of money possible depending on how the settlement was worded if she screwed him about.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

So you're an expert on divorce now, AtW?

Usually it's customary to lose your virginity first.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Usually it's customary to lose your virginity first.
            Being intact after 5 years of marriage might count for much the same though.

Comment

Summarizes my thoughts on his posts on this thread entirely.

Comment

Are you aware of a test court case that resulted in award of future inheritance to wife even though the peopel who'd give this inheritance are still alive and well at the time of divorce?

If it's not your money (unlike your pension) it can't be divided.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Are you aware of a test court case that resulted in award of future inheritance to wife even though the peopel who'd give this inheritance are still alive and well at the time of divorce?

If it's not your money (unlike your pension) it can't be divided.
                  The court can take into account pretty much anything it wants. Future earnings for example. These aren't your money either. This sort of touches on future inheritance:- http://www.divorceresource.co.uk/Settlement.html

There is a bit here to:- http://www.fnf.org.uk/law-and-policy/divorce

As a general principle most settlements granted by the courts allow for review in the case of significant changes in circumstances, though generally these can often be countered.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    A contractor chap I know basically got his ex to accept a full and final settlement (for her, I think the kids still get school etc paid for).

He used the threat that he could structure his affairs to give her the least amount of money possible depending on how the settlement was worded if she screwed him about.
                    The so called full and final settlement I guess? Even these can under certain cicrumstances be reviewed. There was a case recently where somebody wanted to reduce the amount since the value of the underlying assets had dropped somewhat - though he did lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                      The court can take into account pretty much anything it wants. Future earnings for example. These aren't your money either. This sort of touches on future inheritance:- http://www.divorceresource.co.uk/Settlement.html

There is a bit here to:- http://www.fnf.org.uk/law-and-policy/divorce
                      "Supposing your parents have died and have left you a financial inheritance but your ex’s have not yet passed on. "

In this parents died so obviously if you are in the will (or it's under dispute) then inheritance can be taken into account.

YOUR future earnings maybe taken into account if wife helped write book and then you get future royalties, that's obvious, but you can't take into account stuff like future lottery win or inheritance that you may or may not get.

Courts can't do what they like even though sometimes they make strange decisions.

Comment

Working...
                      X