• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to abolish the NHS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    and your share for those who cannot afford to pay? Or were you planning to renegue on that responsibility?
    A lot has changed in the world of healthcare since the NHS was set up.

The expectations of the public are a lot higher now and a lot more can be done - at a cost. The service that you would have received in 1948 is rather different to the one that you would receive today and is it reasonable to fund it in the same way?

Similar ideas apply to the State Pension which would only have had to support anyone for a couple of years before they keeled over 50 years ago, but maybe that needs its own thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      and stopped paying NI, .
      Whats this "NI" of which you speak?
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

privatisation has done wonders for the trains and utilities. bring it on!
        Originally posted by BolshieBastard
        You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Never used it myself. Hate those hospital/death places.

Comment

We still need the NHS. I don't mind paying NI (despite my accountant's recommendations on the minimum wage). I believe we need a service that allows one to make additional contributions in order to get better and faster treatment. Fair system? Probably not, but as long as the health care is available to all British Subjects, then I think it's an idea that needs exploring.

If, and only if, the Identity card is brought in, I hope the NHS will be allowed to tap into the system in order to make sure that the person being treated is not trying it on (i.e. free health care for foreigners).
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

The NHS needs reform but it shouldn't be privatised. Private insurance is available for those that want it (I've got private medical insurance but it's not a panacea).

There are two main problems with the NHS (in my opinion);

1) Bureaucracy: Too many managers and far too many targets. My wife was a NHS manager who collapsed with stress so I know what I'm talking about here.

2) Too many people in this country using NHS facilities who really a) shouldn't be in this country or b) have come from abroad so should pay for their treatment.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

For me, having lived in countries where healthcare isn't free it's still one of the greatest things about living in this country.

I don't mind paying, and so far I don't use it too much, but for me no one should be denied healthcare based on money, or lack of.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  have come from abroad so should pay for their treatment.
                  What if they came from abroad 50 years ago to drive your bus or clean your tulipty toilets on the promise of not much, but access to health care being one them?
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You clearly didn't watch Hospital yesterday.
                    I resent paying for self-inflicted drink-related injuries and feel no obligation to do so.
                    A full 50% of A&E cases at that particular hospital were self-inflicted.
                    The doctor was at her wits end.
                    OK, and I refuse to pay for treatment of those who drive to fast. Or who smoke. Or who eat too many doughnuts. Or who don't exercise enough.

Is this an early attempt for "idiot of the day"?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                      OK, and I refuse to pay for treatment of those who drive to fast. Or who smoke. Or who eat too many doughnuts. Or who don't exercise enough.

Is this an early attempt for "idiot of the day"?
                      Ban alcohol clearly is the solution!

Actually, I've had a self inflicted drink related injury ... clearly when I fell on that bit of glass and cut my wrist cause I was pished and messing about I should have just bled to death rather than bother the A&E doctor (ANd tax payer) ...
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X