• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clause to search me and my car ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I do have a problem with any simplistic suggestion that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
    Not the same thing.
    I agree comrade! do NOT remove your tinfoil hat, i have information. Unplug your microwave NOW, it has been compromised. Are you into conspiracy or just fancied posting an offensive reply for the sake of it?

The "simplistic" term "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" only appears in your own posts. Don't put words into my mouth.

This is a simple black and white contract clause, i've worked in distribution depots where this appeared and we were regularly searched along with our motors. It wasn't a ploy to collect our DNA or plant enriched Uranium on us and bundle us off to a camp but simply the fact that a lot of the staff were robbing bar-steward temps, the goods on show were enticing and a jacketfull was worth a lot of cash.

So i'd say in this case, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. If i were a hiring manager and a potential employee refused to sign this area of the contract i'd simply tell him to feck off.
    Last edited by Durbs; 8 April 2009, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      I agree comrade! do NOT remove your tinfoil hat, i have information. Unplug your microwave NOW, it has been compromised. Are you into conspiracy or just fancied posting an offensive reply for the sake of it?

The "simplistic" term "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" only appears in your own posts. Don't put words into my mouth.
      Your words were

If you are not going there with the intention of nicking stuff then why be bothered by it?
      The big difference between that and my characterisation escapes me.

As does the justification for your aggression and sarcasm.

As does the reason why I'm wasting my precious time on you.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        If they thought I was stealing something they should do what normal people do and phone the police.

If they thought a few post it pads on my last week was worth it.

Personally I would tell them to f off, unless I had hungry children to feed.
        Even assuming you sign it, can they actually enforce it at the point that they want to search you.

It's not like they can physically force you to submit to a search. All they can do is declare you in breach of contract and dismiss you with immediate effect.

Or can they...

Comment

I don't mind having my bag searched. Who would ? But a personal search is a different thing. It might mean a pat down, turning out my pockets, in fact it could mean an awful lot of things. As I said, this is not a secure site. It is not the Royal Mint or an "Ipod Factory" or an MOD base, otherwise I would understand the need for searching and agree to it.

When I asked the agent about removing the clause he just argued.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            When I asked the agent about removing the clause he just argued.
            Look at it from his point of view.
            He is sitting there thinking 'I already have this guy bent over, giving him the full greasy barge-pole, and he's whinging about one little finger in a rubber glove'

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X