• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fed up with the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Could you change to an interest only mortgage?
    I don't know, I believe that lenders are not keen on that these days. That would bring it down to £800 or so plus £400 other bills, so much better. If they'd let me do it.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I don't know, I believe that lenders are not keen on that these days. That would bring it down to £800 or so plus £400 other bills, so much better. If they'd let me do it.
      Got to be worth a phone call Id say.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Hmm bar work could actually be fun for a while, would have to change the CV quite abit though!

Doubt they would take an coder for bar work without some creative cv additions

Comment

Originally posted by Mehmeh View Post
          Hmm bar work could actually be fun for a while, would have to change the CV quite abit though!

Doubt they would take an coder for bar work without some creative cv additions
          Easy. Just put "punch Taverns" on the cv, an invent some cookie cutter ineternal intranet app, that seem to get re-invented at every company Ive ever been at.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            The problem is in a downturn, jobs don't make it onto JobServe.
            Yes, there are jobs going out there - they just never get to the point of being advertised.

Imagine a Dev Manager / PM at ClientCo needs a role filled.

First off, they think... Mmm wonder if xyz are doing anything and for a few phone calls / e-mails, they may be able to have someone in pretty quick who they know is reliable and without having to go through all the hassle of interviewing etc.

Secondly, if they do go through an agent, if that agent has a few contractors who he's been using for years who have always been reliable and delivered for him, but are now benched, he'll call them up first.

Only after this will it end up being advertised.

Comment

You're halfway to the point: that being, why would I bother considering bar work, or indeed low-grade permie, if it wouldn't come near paying for the roof over my head?
              Seeing your war chest depleted by (2200 - low take home pay) is surely better than seeing the war chest depleted by 2200 (provided that low paid job doesn't scupper your chances of future contracts of course).

A combination of both approaches?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X