• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 10 predictions for the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We still won't be using flying cars (or jetpacks) to get to work as Tomorrows World promised us oh so many years ago

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
      We still won't be using flying cars (or jetpacks) to get to work as Tomorrows World promised us oh so many years ago

Don't be mean. At least we got the Velcro and ring-pull cans.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        The real fun is predicting where the next war to meet the US "defence" industry's insatiable demands will be...assuming it isn't Iran.

I'm going for Syria.

Sorry to dissapoint but the WhiteHouse has now officaly dropped the Term War on Terror.

Just think of what would happen to the Middle East and Israel if Syria was attacked - no I think the Us has enough on their plates - they cannot afford to fund the current conflicts let alone lighting more fires.

Thank God we are clear of the shoot first and questions later - Bush administration.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          Sorry to dissapoint but the WhiteHouse has now officaly dropped the Term War on Terror.

Just think of what would happen to the Middle East and Israel if Syria was attacked - no I think the Us has enough on their plates - they cannot afford to fund the current conflicts let alone lighting more fires.

Thank God we are clear of the shoot first and questions later - Bush administration.
          You and Sas are underestimating the power that the US defence industry has over US politics. Look back over what has happened over the last 50 years...and compare it to the health of their defence industry. Every time they've needed an increase in sales, strangely enough a war has started somewhere - usually at the behest of the US.

It hasn't changed over the last 50 years...I don't see why it will change in the future.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You and Sas are underestimating the power that the US defence industry has over US politics. Look back over what has happened over the last 50 years...and compare it to the health of their defence industry. Every time they've needed an increase in sales, strangely enough a war has started somewhere - usually at the behest of the US.

It hasn't changed over the last 50 years...I don't see why it will change in the future.
            They may have to invade Grenada again? Their last truly great victory?
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              They may have to invade Grenada again? Their last truly great victory?
              Ouch!
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Try this one from half a century ago:

Eisenhower warns of the Military-Industrial Complex.

Comment

Not till we get another Republican President.

I may well be mistaken but off the top of my head every war in which the US has been the aggressor has started with a Republican in the Whitehouse.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

I may well be mistaken but off the top of my head every war in which the US has been the aggressor has started with a Republican in the Whitehouse.
                    Vietnam?

Korea?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

The defence industry has such control over the US political scene that it matters not a jot what the political allegiance of the president is. In the same way that the banks have politicians by the short and curlies over economic and financial policies, the defence industry has them by the short and curlies over foreign policy. Money is power, and they still have control over a bunch of it.

So I stand by my prediction...once they are out of Iraq and start pulling out of Afghanistan, something else will "happen".

Comment

Working...
                      X