• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Freemasonry a cult?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    The ability not to want to say "What's in it for me!".
    I'm not going to ridicule the Brethren as my step father is a Mason, he's also a true blue Tory tight wad who wouldn't do anything if there wasn't something in it for him so that's why I ask... maybe he just has a kinder more generous side that he's not shown his family?

...Or maybe we as a family do benefit but he's not allowed to tell us how??
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I'm not going to ridicule the Brethren as my step father is a Mason, he's also a true blue Tory tight wad who wouldn't do anything if there wasn't something in it for him so that's why I ask... maybe he just has a kinder more generous side that he's not shown his family?

...Or maybe we as a family do benefit but he's not allowed to tell us how??
      Why don't you ask your step-father? If he wants you to know then he'll tell you.

Simples!

Comment

Change the record. You've pointed out your ignorance and contempt for a worldwide organisation that is "Founded on the three great principles of Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth, it aims to bring together men of goodwill, regardless of background and differences." concepts that are obviously alien to your tiny bigoted world.

Btw, you might want to have a look at http://www.ksc.org.uk/

Comment

It opens doors you know.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

BrownIssue posted : Acually, the more you go on about it, the more attractive you're making it sound. I'm always up for a bit of D&D.
            Please don't tarnish the image of D&D by associating it with Freemasonry.

At least we do proper Satanic Rituals and stuff, involving vestal virgins and black cockerels, unlike those Freemason wannabes...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Please don't tarnish the image of D&D by associating it with Freemasonry.

At least we do proper Satanic Rituals and stuff, involving vestal virgins and black cockerels, unlike those Freemason wannabes...

<yorkshire>
              It were never like that in my day.
              </yorkshire>

Not been the same since WotC started trying to appeal to a wider audiance....
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Dave B posted : Not been the same since WotC started trying to appeal to a wider audiance....
                Aye lad, and wiv' that Magic the Bothering t'boot, it were all downhill from there. (Still have my collection though).

I've been playing D&D since 1st edition, and I do genuinely feel that the 3.5 D20 edition was the best incarnation ever.

Now that 4th is out, they've completely bolloxed it up.

The concept of 4th edition was simple.

They wanted to emulate the success of WOW, by rewriting the whole rules to be MMORPG friendly.

Further, they wanted people to pay £8.99 a month to access premium content for the rule books.

Essentially, they have MMORPG'ed a pen and paper game, in the vain hope to get some of the WOW pie.

The difference being that WOW is an actual program you play on the computer. Their monthly content is more pdfs containing rules and classes and adventures, to run in a pen and paper system.

I don't know of any 25 years old or later players impressed with 4E. They are all sticking to 3.5, or migrating to Pathfinder, which is a 3rd party evolution of 3.5 (and good too!).
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Goats I bet, loads of big hairy goats.
                  While I agree with the other posters, I have to say that made me chuckle.

Comment

I don't know why we should be ridiculing the Freemasons with any more zeal than we might mock any other band of social misfits. Most of the ones I have encountered have been insecure cash-obsessed loners, but for the most part pretty harmless. Live and let live I say.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yes, depending on whether it is your initiation, passing or raising.

It's part of the tradition. It saves someone ruining your shirt with the dagger too!
                      Dear God, you have a self imposed warped logic to when and which each man tit is shown?! Then you try to justify that by saying "depending on whether it is your initiation"

That is the most disturbing thing, you think what you are doing is normal.

Freaks!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X