• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher Gas and Electricity prices are coming...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher Gas and Electricity prices are coming...

this'll do the economy the world of good...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...817104,00.html

Gas prices send a winter chill through industry

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...817128,00.html

ONE of Britain’s top chemical firms may be forced to suspend production over the winter because of the soaring price of natural gas.

The workers should be happy looks like they'll get an extended Christmas holiday - whether it'll be a paid one is a different matter.

Surely it is cheaper to import these chemical from China or India, why produce them in the UK ?

Milan.

And if they are not manufactured in the UK then the gas is not being burnt in the UK and so the UKs CO2 emmisions get back on target.

Everyones a winner.

Apart from if you had a job there, but don't worry according to estimates the cure is to get a job.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Lucky I bought a 15 tog quilt last month. Next im buying some Damart undies.

Id burn the furniture but its rented - ill have to get a meths stove from Silvermans to reheat my faggots now.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

mcquiggd: Interestingly we were just discussing some Icelandic guy whose boat sank and then swam ashore.

Apparently, after tests (because everyone was so surprised he didn't freeze to death), he was found to have a different sort of fat in his body.

Now he was well known in the local crews as being someone who could carry on working wearing a T shirt when everyone else was feezing.

So, the question we were discussing was whether he had some genetic difference that caused his fat to be different, or whether because he often went about with a lack of clothing that his body had adapted.

I think he adapted, so I suggest you start now getting ready for the winter by only wearing light summer clothing.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Or eating Ginsters pies and Fray Bentos puddings...

Was he a bit of a 'large' bloke by any chance?

Im cold here already - and winter hasnt even peeked round the corner
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Now he was well known in the local crews as being someone who could carry on working wearing a T shirt when everyone else was feezing.

So, the question we were discussing was whether he had some genetic difference that caused his fat to be different, or whether because he often went about with a lack of clothing that his body had adapted.
            I spent a year in Shetlands - it was so cold and windy there I used to leave the oven on all day with the heating just to keep the flat warm.

However, I remember walking around London during a Christmas break in a T shirt while everyone else was wearing coats and jumpers.

You did get used to the cold eventually. Many years later the cold immunity started to wear off.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Right thats it, im going to have a cup of Bovril and a Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie with peas, gravy and new potatoes. Lucky im not a pensioner (quite yet) as id freeze to death.

That and I shall make sure I dont chill tonights Chablis too much.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                I spent a year in Shetlands - it was so cold and windy there I used to leave the oven on all day with the heating just to keep the flat warm.

However, I remember walking around London during a Christmas break in a T shirt while everyone else was wearing coats and jumpers.

You did get used to the cold eventually. Many years later the cold immunity started to wear off.
                HD when were you in Shetland? I worked there for a year back in 1979, mind you that was real work ,none of your sissy IT stuff, lugging 10 stone fish crates around on the dock, aye we had it tough ...

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  mcquiggd: Interestingly we were just discussing some Icelandic guy whose boat sank and then swam ashore.

Apparently, after tests (because everyone was so surprised he didn't freeze to death), he was found to have a different sort of fat in his body.

I think he adapted, so I suggest you start now getting ready for the winter by only wearing light summer clothing.
                  Dangerously close to an evolutionary theory Threaded me old fat chum!
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                    HD when were you in Shetland? I worked there for a year back in 1979, mind you that was real work ,none of your sissy IT stuff, lugging 10 stone fish crates around on the dock, aye we had it tough ...
                    Back in '92 but no IT for me there - running up and down the powerstation in a monkey suit as a process engineer for bp.

Lived in Lerwick, flew Cessna 152s from Sumburgh. Lovely to fly in Winter. Very windy. Some very scenic areas.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X