• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time buyer - tracker or fixed rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    TBH we'd still be looking to buy even if the bubble hadn't burst as we're sick of renting.

I'm really just after some pros and cons of tracker vs fixed rate mortgages, not whether it's a good time to buy or not.

On that note however - is now not a good time to get very good value for money when buying a property?
    Depends how far you tink the market has left to go down.

Compared to this time 2 years ago the market is great value. In two years time it could be a lot different.

Saying that if you want a house to call your own and you know you will be staying put for more than a couple of years, go for it. Owning your own home is about more than just the money.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

On that note however - is now not a good time to get very good value for money when buying a property?

What do you think Sherlock? Do you reckon we've hit bottom yet?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Depends what you pay for the property doesn't it?

At auction you might be able to pickup something very cheaply on the other hand at the higher end of the market I'm finding the vendors very reluctant to discount the price, even as a cash buyer.

One said they'd rather burn the place down than ever drop the price from the peak.

If you can wait I'd wait, this might not even be the start of the real depression, but if you really want to buy, then buy. Not everything in life has to have Mr Logic (sasguru) approval.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          If you can wait I'd wait, this might not even be the start of the real depression, but if you really want to buy, then buy. Not everything in life has to have Mr Logic (sasguru) approval.
          Yeah why listen to me? Why not purchase a property now and watch it fall in value by 20% over the next year? It'll be a bit of a laff innit?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

One said they'd rather burn the place down than ever drop the price from the peak.
            Someone's having an expensive Bonfire night!

IMHO the boom was already too high by 04. So unless it goes below those values I'm not buying.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Depends how far you tink the market has left to go down.

Compared to this time 2 years ago the market is great value. In two years time it could be a lot different.

Saying that if you want a house to call your own and you know you will be staying put for more than a couple of years, go for it. Owning your own home is about more than just the money.
              This is more of a driving force behind the decision to start the ball rolling- and the £80k windfall.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              What do you think Sherlock? Do you reckon we've hit bottom yet?
              No idea - I try to stay away from those kinds of conversations, no one really knows what's going to happen. Ideally we'd like to be in a nice 2 bed house/flat in our chosen area (Richmond/Twickenham/Petersham/Ham) by the summer.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Yeah why listen to me? Why not purchase a property now and watch it fall in value by 20% over the next year? It'll be a bit of a laff innit?
                Thing is sasguru, you buy a nice car and it loses 20% but you still buy it, use it and enjoy it.

I mean, food is a waste of money isn't it? You buy it and it turns to tulip. What a waste!

Comment

No idea - I try to stay away from those kinds of conversations, no one really knows what's going to happen. .
                  Data analysis exists for a reason - to avoid people's silly opinions.
                  Look at house price patterns in the last recession and factor in that this recession is probably a lot worse.
                  If you're patient you can have your dream flat in Richmond etc for a lot less in a couple of years.
                  Of course I may be wrong but I don't think so.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Nationwide House Price Index for March should be out any day now.

Comment

Nationwide House Price Index for March should be out any day now.
                      Where's the poll?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X