• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things I learnt yesterday.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I too switched the TV on.. and there was the Toby Jug, reading his heavily scripted ad libs. All the charm of 1980s regional TV with less substance. Noel Edmonds couldn't devise a more cretinous and patronising show
    You are Mr Zippy and I claim my £5
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      Brazil nuts are full of selenium.
      I read that as Brazil nuts are full of semen. Which I suppose is correct also.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I read that as Brazil nuts are full of semen. Which I suppose is correct also.

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

You're slow !! I have been eating them for the last year for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Is that good for you? I seem to recall that some supermarkets banned the sale of Brazil nuts in their shells a few years ago owing to them containing some carcinogenic compound - though last Christmas they made a reappearance. Just not the same IMO when they're not in their shells.

And just one more Brazil nut fact: ironically, in Brazil they are called Castanhas de Peru (Peru Nuts).

Selenium is good for the skin.

Comment

I nibble a few on a regular basis - very tasty

Comment

Why its best to have milk in your Tea

Drinking steaming hot tea has been linked with an increased risk of oesophageal (food tube) cancer, Iranian scientists have found.

The British Medical Journal study found that drinking black tea at temperatures of 70C or higher increased the risk.

Experts said the finding could explain the increased oesophageal cancer risk in some non-Western populations.

Adding milk, as most tea drinkers in Western countries do, cools the drink enough to eliminate the risk.

The oesophagus is the muscular tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach.

Oesophagus cancers kill more than 500,000 people worldwide each year and oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is the commonest type.

Tobacco and alcohol are the main factors linked to the development of oesophageal cancers in Europe and America nations.

But it has not been clear why other populations around the world have high rates of the disease although there has been a theory that regularly drinking very hot drinks damage the lining of the gullet.

Comment

The red-faced uakari monkey of Peru washes itself in its own urine.

Comment

The red-faced uakari monkey of Peru washes itself in its own urine.
                    Is this a pizz-take ???

Comment

Ah I caught that too. Some documentary yesterday just before the one I was waiting for ("Life After People"[*]).

What puzzles me is that if British wheat is so pitifully short of selenium (1/10th the amount of Canadian wheat they said) then how did people manage before Canadian wheat was imported?

I'm assuming the low selenium content in British wheat is a reflection of the same deficit in British soil. Or maybe the soil is fine, and other British grown foods have ample selenium, and it's just our wheat that is poor at absorbing it?

[*] I thought "Life After People" was OK, with some good special effects. But it was too US-centered, and they rather dragged things out, especially the part about the abandoned town near Chernobyl. It would have been more interesting at the end to speculate on creatures such as rats or parrots evolving human level intelligence.

Also, they didn't mention that although the Earth's surface would be practically devoid of any signs of past civilization within 10,000 years of humans vanishing, human footprints would remain on the Moon for hundreds of thousands of years, and artificial satellites in high orbits probably for millions of years.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X