• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon ignores Bank of England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Excellent point...so I did a little research on the qualifications of the principle players of the two main parties:

David Cameron - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
    William Hague – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
    George Osborne – Modern History (Oxford)
    Alan Duncan – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford) then winner of the Kennedy Scholarship (Harvard), economics
    Chris Grayling; History (Cambridge)
    Ken Clark; Law, (Cambridge)

Gordon Brown – History (Edinburgh); PhD- History of the Scottish Labour Party (Edinburgh)
    Harriet Harman – Politics (York)
    David Miliband - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
    Alistair Darling - Law (Aberdeen)
    Jacqui Smith – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
    Peter Mandelson - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)

Interesting stuff.
    Interesting.
    Like all "arts" degrees, none of those degrees are ones you can actually fail, provided you turn up and do some work.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Mindnumbingly dull
      hmmm, so you don't find it remotely interesting that 60% of the top positions in the two main political parties are taken up by graduates of one course at Oxford?

Ok, apologies for that. I'll let you go back to reading the Beano.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

hmmm, so you don't find it remotely interesting that 60% of the top positions in the two main political parties are taken up by graduates of one course at Oxford?

Ok, apologies for that. I'll let you go back to reading the Beano.
        No I mean that their qualifications are mindnumbingly dull. Why is there even public funding for a degree in 'Politics'?

OK I can understand the point of studying history, but then learn something that can enlighten our age, like the Enlightenment, the fall of Rome, the rise of totalitarianism, but not the history of the Scottish Labour party.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This is most definitely not news.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Excellent point...so I did a little research on the qualifications of the principle players of the two main parties:

David Cameron - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
            William Hague – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
            George Osborne – Modern History (Oxford)
            Alan Duncan – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford) then winner of the Kennedy Scholarship (Harvard), economics
            Chris Grayling; History (Cambridge)
            Ken Clark; Law, (Cambridge)

Gordon Brown – History (Edinburgh); PhD- History of the Scottish Labour Party (Edinburgh)
            Harriet Harman – Politics (York)
            David Miliband - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
            Alistair Darling - Law (Aberdeen)
            Jacqui Smith – philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)
            Peter Mandelson - philosophy, politics & economics (Oxford)

Interesting stuff.

At least some Tories have worked in the private sector for years and have run businesses. Most Labour politicians are totally ignorant when it comes to business, but it is business that should drive the UK economy and therefore needs careful handling rather than excessive red tape and taxes.

Comment

No I mean that their qualifications are mindnumbingly dull. Why is there even public funding for a degree in 'Politics'?

OK I can understand the point of studying history, but then learn something that can enlighten our age, like the Enlightenment, the fall of Rome, the rise of totalitarianism, but not the history of the Scottish Labour party.
              How about a Third in Divinity - that could be handy - well I recall an old mate who rose to the rank of Major in the Army being told of a new officer who was sure to rise in the ranks AND he had a third in Divinity.

Yep - that will really impress the lads in Afghanistan.

Comment

My apologies then for misreading your post.

The really sad thing is that the only one I could find that has a degree in anything science or engineering related is Margaret Beckett, who has a degree in metallurgy from UMIST. Small wonder successive muppets have decimated our manufacturing industry.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  This is most definitely not news.
                  Well, it was to me.

Comment

The really sad thing is that the only one I could find that has a degree in anything science or engineering related is Margaret Beckett, who has a degree in metallurgy from UMIST. Small wonder successive muppets have decimated our manufacturing industry.

What about my old pal Dr Liam Fox ? Dont you value a degree in medicine ?

Comment

A science graduate is hardly likely to know the first thing about running a business.

Comment

Working...
                      X