• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy clients...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has already said he has signed an extension.

What are the termination clauses in your contract MacDonald? I would have thought it would have contained a standard 4 week notice period.

You know what though...I wouldnt want to work for anyone who terminates contracts like they did with you. My personal experience has been being told by someone I didnt recognise as my managers manager that they didnt get approval to extend. I cant believe the client would not have approached you personally to let you know of this.

If thats how the client operates then I wouldnt want to work for them.

Mailman

Comment

I have two signed copies of the extension for 6 months sitting in my kitchen as we speak... the only verbal discussion was threats of sacking if I didnt take a pay cut, asking me to take 2 months holiday, and then that the next day I would be finishing (NOT terminated).

The contract does not mention a probationary period, simply one weeks notice (which was not given until the day before the original contract ended).
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

"How do people get in this situation, especially as you were sat so close to the boss."

It is actually very easy. So you are getting close to the end of your contract. The client states that they want to keep you and you are happy to stay. Then at the last minute, for whatever reason, budgets get cut and the client cannot afford your services and wants to get out of the contract. Simply make up some excuse so that the contract gets terminated and move on. The problem from the contractors perspective is that they have missed the time period where they would normally start looking for the next role, resulting in a bit of down time

Personally I start looking even if a renewal is in the offing. Only stop looking when both parties have signed the contract and you have a copy of the document. Because it is a renewal it is hard for the other side to prove that the work was below par as a means of terminating the contract.

Also, at the last place I was at, it wasn't the managers decision. It was taken by somebody higher up at the last minute.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          If thats how the client operates then I wouldnt want to work for them.
          Mailman
          Indeed - a few days after I signed the extension the PM called me in and told me he had budget troubles and hed sack me if I didnt agree to a rate reduction and time off - he was even low enough to mention cancer and that perhaps I wanted a rest.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

If you have a weeks notice and it is in writing, don't see a problem, just send an invoice, as usual pointing out the notice period, then if they don't pay in the normal timeframe, send a reminder, then a final demand etc. I suspect they'll pay up. The agency will do the same to the client.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              At the moment im concentrating on answering the phone - anyone know C# and Rational XDE and want a contract with the .. gasp.. Inland Revenue in Telford? Immediate start.
              I get a call every week regarding this (except for project management). It will be working for Cap Gemini rather than the IR on the Aspire programme.

Comment

Working...
              X