• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police Officer Sacked because he was a member of the BNP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he could do his job then that is all that matters.

As much as I detest the BNP I am glad this country has free elections.

Comment

If we want to find out the real trouble makers in the police it should be the masons and their dodgy handshakes.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        If we want to find out the real trouble makers in the police it should be the masons and their dodgy handshakes.
        All it'll need is a list...
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          I hear exactly what you say, and largely agree with it. But isn't the problem that any form of discrimination is legal - except where it is specifically illegal by statute?
          Sorry, I am showing a bit of on the above statement. Are you agreeing with the previous poster?

With the Police Force and, possibly, other Public Services, you are required to show impartiality. Of course you are entitled to have your own discriminatory opinions, as long as they are not made public. Being a member of the BNP is a sign of making your discriminatory opinions public, even if you don't actively go out of your way to discriminate people whilst on the job. But as I have said in my first post on this thread, if the individual concerned is innocent, then I hope they get their job back.

Is it really impossible to hold views contrary to "normal" beliefs but be unable to put them aside?
          No it's not. However, some people decide to join certain public groups in order to make their views known.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I hear exactly what you say, and largely agree with it. But isn't the problem that any form of discrimination is legal - except where it is specifically illegal by statute?
            Due to European Directives virtually every form of main stream discrimination you can think of is now illegal in the UK.

And the way laws are written in England and Wales it's up to the Courts to interpret them.

To be honest unless you going to be involved in politics, you should never join any political party or politicised organisation as you never know when it can be used against you. I was warned about this by a union rep I know.

Is it really impossible to hold views contrary to "normal" beliefs but be unable to put them aside?
            Those working for public authorities have duties under various acts to promote equality in that organisation under those acts. This is very difficult when you hold openly discriminatory views.

In addition Police Forces have enough claims of discrimination against them from both employees and members of the public.

As civil cases are judged on the balance of probabilities, giving lawyers further ammunition to use against a serving member will mean that every case involving him will lead to a pay out by the force he is working for.

If the guy is innocent then unfortunately he is likely to have lost his police career anyway. He will be always under suspicion.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If the guy is innocent then unfortunately he is likely to have lost his police career anyway. He will be always under suspicion.
              Innocent of what? It's not a crime to join the BNP.
              I know that when you do the SC it's a problem, cops included.
              Bored.

Comment

The reality is, he was sacked for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Due to European Directives virtually every form of main stream discrimination you can think of is now illegal in the UK.
                  Except discrimination against white, heterosexual males who have a job and no criminal record.

Everything, it would appear, is our fault.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                    Innocent of what? It's not a crime to join the BNP.
                    I know that when you do the SC it's a problem, cops included.
                    You are correct in stating that it is not a crime to be a member of the BNP. However, for some companies it is a condition of employment that you are not a member of the BNP. By not declaring the membership when cleary asked, can be seen as obtaining employment by deception, and therefore the employer is entitled to sack the employee.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                      Except discrimination against white, heterosexual males who have a job and no criminal record.

Everything, it would appear, is our fault.
                      The employee is not being sacked for being white or hetrosexual. The employee is being sacked because of this public support for the BNP, which is an organisaton that is inheritly biased towards certain minority groups, which therefore appears to be making their judgement impaired, whether the employee is active or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X