• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fatal Skiing Accident.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not the accident, it's the queer hogs in fluorescent body suits that puts me off.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I'm going Sunday, but otherwise I could make the identical comments.

I've had two painful accidents. First was last year, when I was going down a series of "steps", each about 6 feet high off piste. I'd been down them the previous day and it was fun. However, I didn't know that at the bottom of the last one some snowboarders had built a ramp.
      Did you arrange a ritual destruction of the ramp?

Comment

No, I got into a comfortable sniper's position, and used it as bait. Picking 'em off, one by one...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          After the death of Natasha Richardson, the wife of actor Liam Neeson, dies following a skiing accident', has it put anyone off skiing and has anyone else suffered for their sport?

Link

I had a accident the forth time of going. It was the first day and we were all standing on a nursery slope waiting to go off with the instuctor, and one of the party members skied into the back of me.

I was taken off the Piste by streatcher and taken to hospital where I was in for 10 days and had two operations to repair my ruptured liagments in my Knee.

Must admit, did put me off but I would like to take my kids at some point.
          I must admit, since I heard the news of this accident, it has been playing on my mind (no pun intended) but am not quite sure why. Think it is as Bagpuss said about the margin between life and death being so narrow.

I am going skiing to Canada in about 10 days time and have bought most of my gear (treated my self to some new kit) and was 'umming and arring' about a ski helmet but think recent events have made the decision for me.

I don't for one second think the helmet is going to be much help in a serious accident but from the accounts of what happened to Natasha Richardson, think it may certainly have helped - I understand hers was a relatively innocuous fall and she wasn't wearing a helmet.

I am a cautious skier by nature and agree with what has already been said about most accidents being caused by other skiers, overcrowding on the slopes etc. Similar to driving in that sense - it doesn't matter how good a driver you are because you can't account for others actions.

(Would welcome any advice on what to look for in a good helmet or good brands to go for).

Comment

I'm not going skiing now. It's too dangerous. I'll stick to tombstoning off cliffs for kicks thank-you.

Comment

Dislocated my little finger once when I crashed into a (small) tree off piste. Now much more cautious and old - I may get a helmet I suppose, I got one for cycling.

Comment

After this I might get a helmet for muff diving
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Dislocated my little finger once when I crashed into a (small) tree off piste.
                  Wimp. You're supposed to dislocate the tree.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

a guy on one of the projects I am running is off skiing tomorrow

he went about about 3 months ago and says when he was off piste he nearly fell over a 3000 ft cliff

luckily the work needed from him on the project is done so I am not unduly worried

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      a guy on one of the projects I am running is off skiing tomorrow

he went about about 3 months ago and says when he was off piste he nearly fell over a 3000 ft cliff

luckily the work needed from him on the project is done so I am not unduly worried
                      Nice planning skills OPM ;-)
                      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                      X