• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On shoring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I was going to accused of racism yesterday on a telecon wth the Indians taking over our work.

Somebody said that they didn't know how I did what I did. I said 'that makes 2 of us. I have an infinite team of monkeys and I know one of them wil come up with the goods eventually.'

What they heard was that I have an Indian team of monkeys - not quite what I was intending to say.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ivor Bigun;799856]
      Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Yep, I've just been outing SUITYOU01 and SVALBAARD as intolerant racist trolls.
      Reckon someone else should have a go now
      All I've seen is comments based on personal experience. Not racisium.

My experience is that they all disappear at lunch time for a couple of hours. From what I understand they all go home and cook lunch because English food is so bland!

Never experienced the toilet issue.

There is definitely a conflict of culture though. They will nod (wobble) their head and confirm they understand what you say. Then after chasing it up a few days later, they will state that they understood what you wanted them to do, but they couldn't do it.

Most of what has been said on this thread is a difference in culture / communication.
      Originally posted by cailin maith
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        I'm a freelance professional technical worker, not a would-be body-shopping business.
        As a freelance professional worker, in the global economy, you are going to have to compete with the myriad thousands other freelance professional workers.
        I prefer an easier life with more money
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm a thicko and have failed miserably to out as I'm not capable of putting together a cohesive argument.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I thought I was going to accused of racism yesterday on a telecon wth the Indians taking over our work.

Somebody said that they didn't know how I did what I did. I said 'that makes 2 of us. I have an infinite team of monkeys and I know one of them wil come up with the goods eventually.'

What they heard was that I have an Indian team of monkeys - not quite what I was intending to say.
            Is it safe to use the word 'monkey' when describing Indian developers? 'Code monkey' is in general parlance in this country, also 'shaved ape' (to describe someone particularly useless).
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              As a freelance professional worker, in the global economy, you are going to have to compete with the myriad thousands other freelance professional workers.
              I prefer an easier life with more money
              Then I refer you to PM-Junkie, who made the effort to express the same thought more eloquently:

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Oh I don't know...just little things called "pride" and "integrity". Why would I want to blow a professional reputation that has taken me years to build up, by employing incompetent idiots just because I can make a fast buck?

No thanks - I'll give that one a miss if it's all the same to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                I once had an Indian working for me in a SAP functional support role who sat on a key technical issue for two days before escalating it because he "didn't want to disturb me".

But worse of all - their food always seems to stink out the entire floor when they use the microwave.
                Yes, I had an onshore indian support team in my last IB, they got caught hiding fall overs in a trading system becasue they did not want to upset anyone. 30 traders were going nuts while this doughball was trying to hide it like a 5 year old hides the fact he crapped in his pants.

Any yes, I had to sit 10 yards from a microwave, from 12 till 3 I might as well been sitting in a curry shop kitchen. I like curry but I don't want to smell it for 15 hours a week at my flippin desk.

Comment

You crossed the line with me there matey. I am NOT a racist, and will not tolerate being accused of such. Please desist.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

[QUOTE=suityou01;800042]
                    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post

You crossed the line with me there matey. I am NOT a racist, and will not tolerate being accused of such. Please desist.
                    yes you are. and you are gay as well.
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      Yes, I had an onshore indian support team in my last IB, they got caught hiding fall overs in a trading system becasue they did not want to upset anyone. 30 traders were going nuts while this doughball was trying to hide it like a 5 year old hides the fact he crapped in his pants.

Any yes, I had to sit 10 yards from a microwave, from 12 till 3 I might as well been sitting in a curry shop kitchen. I like curry but I don't want to smell it for 15 hours a week at my flippin desk.

A bit of tolerance is in order here. I've had to put up with smelly garlic breath from all cultures, including my own compatriots sitting nearby. I've also had people complain about eating fish and chips in the office because of the smell. If it really is a problem then you should try to get the rules with regard to eating in the office changed, rather than turning it into a racial issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X