• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small children in the office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go over to her and say ....

"I am a little bit worried about my court order. Especially the 200 meters limit."

Then place your hand on her arm and say.

"But I'm sure it will be ok."

She and the child will be out of there in a flash.

Works in restaurants too!
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
      I have noticed that women who have gone off to have sprogs often come back into the office to show them off. My view is that they do it to get out of the house and to feel better about themselves, or that they have nothing else in their lives other than "the company".

Very tragic.
      I cant believe you said that. I took baby BP into the office when he was 9 days old : as I was immensely proud and wanted to show everyone what they supplied the card/money for (We got £130 which was very handy for baby essentials).

Everyone was pleased to see the baby : it was almost entirely men.

Of course there was one killjoy. He said to someone afterwards "why did he bring a doll into the office?". For those who dont know babies deeply asleep take on a waxy doll like quality.

Comment

At my last contract they had a 'Bring your child to work day' which wasn't too bad for me as no-one in the immediate vicinity had one but lunch time in the canteen was sure hell. In fact what they did was shuffle them off somewhere to play with some high tech stuff most of the time and they only went to their parents for a short while.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          There are lots of people like that. Back in my permie days I was told that my career would be hampered as I never turned up to company weekend get-togethers or evening jollies. Perhaps my answer wasn’t very tactful; ‘no thanks, I have some real friends and I’ll be spending the weekend with them’.
          Having no obligation to attend company events is an often overlooked benefit of being a contractor in my opinion.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Last year the guy who sat beside me invinted his parents in to the office. That was very strange.

Comment

I recall one of the operators had his kid with him in the machine room. What's this big red button do, daddy? *press*

Kids were banned from the machine room thereafter.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I recall one of the operators had his kid with him in the machine room. What's this big red button do, daddy? *press*

Kids were banned from the machine room thereafter.
                You don't need kids to do that....... wasn't that every Operator, Tape Monkey & Print Monkeys "right of passage"........

They couldn't ban them from the Machine Room... so they promoted them!

Comment

Took my 6 yr old to the office once as I got alled in for a meeting when I was off work with her when she was under the weather and had no one else to look after her.

The office manager put her in the a spare office with pen and paper.

Meeting went on for about 2 hours and when I got out, she has helping the marketing team putting letters into envelopes and had done a couple of hundred of them ( correct I may add).

The then put about five quid into an envelope for her as her 'Wages'.

She is now 9 and learning 'Front Page' at school building her own website, and is a dab hand doinng powerpoint.

Born Contractor in the making - we all have to start somewhere
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
                    Having no obligation to attend company events is an often overlooked benefit of being a contractor in my opinion.
                    for me it's absolutely, er..... "looked".

Definitely one of my main reasons.

Comment

When I bring my 3 y/o in the office he has a great time. Its the only time he gets to use the CBeebies webstite.

'course this is my own office and I have 9 PC's for him to use.

However..I don't manage to get anything done as he's always shouting "look daddy! look!" or using the markers to write on the desks and important documents.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X