• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does your word mean ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Is your word your bond ?

would you crawl for a hundred miles on your hands and knees over broken glass to do something, just because you said you would do it ?

or

do you think this is a peculiar western/oldie/male foolishness ?

Personally to break ones word is a disgrace - I am always very careful in giving my word as I know once given - I cannot break it - whatever the cost.

In practical terrms I extend that to my contracting activites - if I say a task will be done by X - then come hell or high water it better be done. If I sign a contract for six monhts - then I shall work for the duration of that contract - I will not be tempted away.

And if you give me your word - then you are not your Word - you have lost all crediblity.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 March 2009, 08:59.

Comment

My word is pretty solid, but my Word is just bloody irritating today; slow key response and it’s still jumping between languages on the spell check.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        I have had three occasions where, on being offered a new gig, the new client has asked me to start before I finish at the current client. In each case I've said "Would you want me to do that to you?" and then they shut up.
        Er, that's a good way of shutting up the client, but rather not the point.

Comment

Working...
        X