• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb agents and clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nope asking them what the rate is filters out all those that are going to pay way too low before they even get into their spiel - I've never asked an agent what I should charge but I actually hate listening to an agent for about 5-10 minutes without getting a word in edgeways and then finding that the client will in no way go above about 50% of what I usually charge. I havent been in a permie job for nearly 10 years btw... everywhere I have my resumee posted I have written in capitals 'contract only' and still they ring me about permie roles. One agency sends me at least one to two emails per day - 50% of them permie roles and i have replied to each of those saying 'not interested in permanent roles' and still they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      What is wrong with a permie job if it pays? £45K with the usual perks and a short commute is OK if you don't usually pull more than £30 an hour.

You haven't got to stay in it forever - in fact, many rabid contractors have been with the same client longer than your average permie. And not every permie job comes with unavoidable politics.
      Well given that a job for life and a nice gold watch at 65 is off the cards these days. Take the Perm role. Consider it a nice long contract, put the company onn hold. When it goes stick it down as a contract, and carry on as normal.

Comment

nope asking them what the rate is filters out all those that are going to pay way too low before they even get into their spiel.
        Amen to that, thought i was onto a beauty today, big AD rollout and Exchange migration 25 mins away from my house, got the full job spec and spiel from the agent and was ready to sign up there and then, sounded a real nice number.

At the end of the discussion, the bombshell £12/hr was dropped. What! "they might be a bit more flexible than that for the right person though but to tell you the truth theres a lot of competition and not a lot of contacts out there at the moment so i dont think you're going to find much higher than that anywhere." Told him my expected rate and could hear my CV being permanently erased from their database as he said his goodbyes.

Comment

Had four phone calls so far this morning... the usual mix of 'would you consider permanent', 'I have several clients waiting for sign-off', 'do you offer French?', 'have you had any interviews lately?' and ill gaurantee even if I told them I wont work for less than 2k a day and want a private jet to take me to work Ill still be on the lists pleading for 'URGENT SEQUEL SERVER DEVELOPERS'....
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs
            At the end of the discussion, the bombshell £12/hr was dropped.
            A temp agency called me last summer. They asked me my expected rate, which I told them. Her immediate question was, "and that's per week?". To which I replied, "no, per day." Silence, as her brain struggled to comprehend that there was more to life than temping for £7.50 p/h.

Comment

Working...
            X