• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing this weekend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    Hopefully I will be setting out my rasied beds, and planting out this seasons potatoes.
    Ahhhhh, I built three 1.5m X 1.5m raised beds a few months back. Thought it would take a few hours, took 2 days (including moving 2 tons of soil from driveway to fill the beds).
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
      Hopefully I will be setting out my rasied beds, and planting out this seasons potatoes.
      Whats the point of a raised bed ? In the olden days we used to dig the soil, plant em, then rake up through the year. Can someone explain raised beds to an old codger ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

(including moving 2 tons of soil from driveway to fill the beds)
        That's the bit I'm not looking forward to. The top soil has been placed quite close to the where the beds will be though.
        SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Whats the point of a raised bed ?
          I don't know about FSM, but most of my garden is sitting on a very poor soil base - lots of large boulders etc. Putting a raised bed in gives me a decent sized area for growing veg etc, without the hassle of breaking down and digging tons of unusable earth.

And as an old codger myself, the less back breaking work I have to do the better.
          Last edited by Netraider; 6 March 2009, 09:07.
          SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Packing tonight, moving house tomorrow, setting tv up, drinking beer and eating gf snail's roast on Sunday!
            Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Whats the point of a raised bed ? In the olden days we used to dig the soil, plant em, then rake up through the year. Can someone explain raised beds to an old codger ?

It allows the soil to drain easier (good for certain soil types etc) and for it to also warm up quicker - although this does have the downfall of also cooling quicker, although only marginally. And its easier on the back. If you have really crap soil then you can fill your raised bed with imported good stuff. Not that I am both a nerdy type and also into gardening, honest guv. But no harm in just plonking them in the ground

Comment

I'll also be planting out my spuds, weather permitting. Good to see other sad middle aged types on here who don't waste their weekends p*ssing it up against a wall ( recently retired after 20odd years of doing it ).

Once I've planted my spuds I'll be rebonding with my kids, not sure about this bit as I've not worked away for 5 years until this week. I'm expecting a bit of grief from the older one

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  I'll also be planting out my spuds, weather permitting. Good to see other sad middle aged types on here who don't waste their weekends p*ssing it up against a wall ( recently retired after 20odd years of doing it ).
                  Who's middle aged? Not me, just a bit of a saddo, and it keeps the missus happy, I just end up doing all the graft. But it helps with Engineer belly.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    Who's middle aged? Not me, just a bit of a saddo, and it keeps the missus happy, I just end up doing all the graft. But it helps with Engineer belly.
                    The veg patch was my Mrs' idea, there is enough graft in the garden without growing anything extra. Guess how much she's done so far !

I am well on the way to being a garden saddo, the main design aim is no bedding plants/annuals so it just needs a good hack and tidy up once a year and then gets left to it.

I can feel 'contractors' belly re-emerging after 1 week of cooked breakfasts

Comment

Holiday in Oz last year and I needed to buy lots of pressies, they had to be light, compact but interesting. So I brought back a whole load of seeds. They will be getting planted round about now, up and down the country

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X