• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    when you're working with other contractors and it becomes obvious that they are not as experienced as you are and ask you for lots of help and guidance?
    Personally I laugh at them and humilate them publicly. Then tend not to ask again.

HTH

Comment

all answers on email

As you are so busy you won't be able to help them right away, ask them to email you so you can work on it later. Pick the time to work on it when your client is around at lunchtime etc. Just helping the newbies while I eat my sandwiches.

Send a copy of the answer on email : here's the script you asked for help with, here is the info you asked for etc. Make sure the header of any script etc clearly identifies you as the author or last editor. Any answer references a cool explanation on your blog. Turn on track changes.

As someone pointed out its the smiley ones that get the knife in deepest.

Either they will figure out they are being controlled and learn to use Google or they will fall in the trap.

If it is site specific knowledge or lack of training then approach the client worried the documentation isn't up to snuff and you would be pleased to help for a few quid. With your email trail you will have a basis for it.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Watch your back Pogle. These noobies will feel threatened by you. They will be nice to you while they need something from you. As soon as they get an opportunity to knife you in the back they will.

I have worked on many gigs with people that are under skilled/talented and it never ends well. As a rule I only respond to questions and never volunteer stuff. I explain something once, maybe even twice and that's it. I give opinions and then sit back.

I have been very badly knifed in the back in the past, and its always the nice smily nodding ones that do it.

You are a day rate, nothing more. Protect yourself first.
        Funnily enough I've had exactly the same experience in a recent contract role. If you're deemed to be showing them up by knowing more, or being more capable you may find them clubbing together to make other issues of your character if they can't fault your work.

One thing I observed was the people who are less capable tend to take a more vested interest in other aspects of the job such as timekeeping, days off, etc.. and will actually make issues of you to others if they can't take you down in terms of your work ability and quality.

This also goes for people with army backgrounds.. I've worked on 2 gigs now with ex-forces members and they have a great difficulty with flexibility and non-standard working procedures. Great characters, but very difficult to work with in terms of working arrangements, even if they are on the same level as you.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          when you're working with other contractors and it becomes obvious that they are not as experienced as you are and ask you for lots of help and guidance?

I like to think I'm a decent person and I answer all questions and even explain the same thing several times until they understand it. BUT at the back of my mind I'm thinking, Its only a short contract and if Clientco want to extend anyone’s contract I'd like it to be me and am I giving them an advantage by helping them, so they don’t have to ask any of the permies.

To be honest I feel really bad that I'm starting to resent their questions!
          Its been a long day - maybe I'm just tired
          If you are tired, it seems to me that you have a full time job there. If you are being stretched then other dudes asking questions are just heaping more load onto your shoulders, and thats not right. Help others by all means, but not if you are fully utilised.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Watch your back Pogle. These noobies will feel threatened by you. They will be nice to you while they need something from you. As soon as they get an opportunity to knife you in the back they will.

I have worked on many gigs with people that are under skilled/talented and it never ends well. As a rule I only respond to questions and never volunteer stuff. I explain something once, maybe even twice and that's it. I give opinions and then sit back.

I have been very badly knifed in the back in the past, and its always the nice smily nodding ones that do it.

You are a day rate, nothing more. Protect yourself first.
            Having been screwed over by 'nice' people I couldn't agree more. Be a bit helpful but do make sure your client knows about it.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I work in an all contractor team and I'm always the one giving advice. I am convinced this has kept me in my contract as the client sees this and has let a few people go lately.

One of the contractors at clientco will ask me for advice and then go to speak to the boss explaining his "new idea" with-in ear shot of me. That can make me a little annoyed to say the least.

Comment

Tell them to **** off.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  As you are so busy you won't be able to help them right away, ask them to email you so you can work on it later. Pick the time to work on it when your client is around at lunchtime etc. Just helping the newbies while I eat my sandwiches.

Send a copy of the answer on email : here's the script you asked for help with, here is the info you asked for etc. Make sure the header of any script etc clearly identifies you as the author or last editor. Any answer references a cool explanation on your blog. Turn on track changes.

As someone pointed out its the smiley ones that get the knife in deepest.

Either they will figure out they are being controlled and learn to use Google or they will fall in the trap.

If it is site specific knowledge or lack of training then approach the client worried the documentation isn't up to snuff and you would be pleased to help for a few quid. With your email trail you will have a basis for it.
                  A few years ago when resource was scarce, this "Willing to help" was an acceptable attribute.

However, the market today is vastly different. The only options are:
                  - "I'm sorry, I'm too busy"
                  - "Assign the work to me and I'll complete it"

Anything else will affect you negatively.

Believe me, I've tried all the possible "How much to help?" scenarios and without exception, every time I've helped, its affected me negatively in the long term.
                  Think of the game "The weakest link" and you'll find that in games where there is an obvious strong candidate, he/she is always voted out before the end.
                  Think of it like this, you can get to near the end by being excellent, or you can end up as "last man standing" if you're not the threat.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    Funnily enough I've had exactly the same experience in a recent contract role. If you're deemed to be showing them up by knowing more, or being more capable you may find them clubbing together to make other issues of your character if they can't fault your work.

One thing I observed was the people who are less capable tend to take a more vested interest in other aspects of the job such as timekeeping, days off, etc.. and will actually make issues of you to others if they can't take you down in terms of your work ability and quality.

This also goes for people with army backgrounds.. I've worked on 2 gigs now with ex-forces members and they have a great difficulty with flexibility and non-standard working procedures. Great characters, but very difficult to work with in terms of working arrangements, even if they are on the same level as you.
                    Interesting. If you had your chances again - would you still "help out"?
                    Will you still repeat the same actions at your new contract?

Comment

If the client asks me to then fine, otherwise they can go and jump.

Comment

Working...
                      X