• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World of Warcraft is as addictive as cocaine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Seriously ?

Even if you don't play, and couldn't give a baboon's bottom, surely anybody in the IT industry must have heard of World of Warcraft ?

Even my gran has heard of it, and she's been dead for 20 years.
    Even I have heard of WOW.

And I now have a connection to the InterNet Network as well.

Well it is being routed via my trusty telex machine so the reponse time can take hours rather then minutes.

So - Get With It.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Ok I know it's a computer game, that's about it.
      Don't go near it man, it's bad news. I once did a couple of lines of WOW as an 'experiment' because my friends were doing it. bad mistake. I had to get prescription methaDOOM to get off it and I spent a week doing Cold-Chicken, (like cold turkey but not as dry).
      WOW is addictive as hell man, I'd rather smoke Yvette Coopers @rse-sweat through a hubbly-bubbly pipe than touch that stuff again

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        Don't go near it man, it's bad news. I once did a couple of lines of WOW as an 'experiment' because my friends were doing it. bad mistake. I had to get prescription methaDOOM to get off it and I spent a week doing Cold-Chicken, (like cold turkey but not as dry).
        WOW is addictive as hell man, I'd rather smoke Yvette Coopers @rse-sweat through a hubbly-bubbly pipe than touch that stuff again

That's so true - you know Reality is for people who cant handle drugs - one of my mates ended up doing lines of Chicken Sulphate , and it ruined his promising career in the fire-escape trade.

Then I remembered a voice from the past saying 'Alf - gambling only pays when you're winning.'

I didn't argue.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 February 2009, 14:43.

Comment

I got a mate who's dead keen on it and pushed a box of it to me. I got as far as some screen saying - "please supply your credit card details for monthly billing ($14.99)" - boom - outa there - never touched it again.
          Bored.

Comment

I played it when it came out originally for 2 years.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game.

Me and Mrs BGG created a guild of friends, which has grown and grown, and taken the guild beyond WOW now. (We play WOW, DDO, Warhammer Online).

For the last 2 years we've run guild meets around the world, typically, Amsterdam for our Dutch Friends, London for the UK'ers, and Gotheborg for other European folks.

Since we are a Gaming Clan now, with outposts in other games, we get to stay in contact with each other, and forming a new outpost in a new game is easy because you know several of the players will be from the Clan and know how we work.

I don't play WOW anymore, 2 years was enough for me and I havent played for over a year now. I play DDO instead, which I enjoy more at the moment.

We get together once a week on a Friday, for beers, Teamspeak, smut and fun, while attempting to do an insanely hard dungeon or two. DDO is less forgiving than WOW, and IMHO requires a much higher degree of skill.

DDO is also focussed on the small party dynamic, so you don't need to get 10 or even 25 people together as you might in WOW, just 4 good mates is enough for most challenges. Quicker to organise and more intense as well, as each role in the group is highly valued and crucial to success.

WOW was good fun at the time, but I've got bored with it.

Mmm ...Diablo 3 is on the horizon.....
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
              Then I remembered a voice from the past saying 'Alf - gambling only pays when you're winning.'
              You obviously know what you like

Comment

...I'd rather smoke Yvette Coopers @rse-sweat through a hubbly-bubbly pipe than touch that stuff again
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

When you get to 3 O'Clock Monday morning and realise that you have pushed £1000 quid of world of warcraft up your nose in the last 3 days then you know it is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X